Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday (26) #scandal

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 12:00 AM with 20 comments
Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases we are eagerly anticipating. Click the link to see the original post plus a whole slew of links to other blogs. After you read this one, of course.



17415348 #Scandal
 
Author: Sarah Ockler
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: June 17, 2013

Synopsis from  Goodreads:
 
Lucy’s learned some important lessons from tabloid darling Jayla Heart’s all-too-public blunders: Avoid the spotlight, don’t feed the Internet trolls, and keep your secrets secret. The policy has served Lucy well all through high school, so when her best friend Ellie gets sick before prom and begs her to step in as Cole’s date, she accepts with a smile, silencing about ten different reservations. Like the one where she’d rather stay home shredding online zombies. And the one where she hates playing dress-up. And especially the one where she’s been secretly in love with Cole since the dawn of time.

When Cole surprises her at the after party with a kiss under the stars, it’s everything Lucy has ever dreamed of… and the biggest BFF deal-breaker ever. Despite Cole’s lingering sweetness, Lucy knows they’ll have to ’fess up to Ellie. But before they get the chance, Lucy’s own Facebook profile mysteriously explodes with compromising pics of her and Cole, along with tons of other students’ party indiscretions. Tagged. Liked. And furiously viral.

By Monday morning, Lucy’s been branded a slut, a backstabber, and a narc, mired in a tabloid-worthy scandal just weeks before graduation.

Lucy’s been battling undead masses online long enough to know there’s only one way to survive a disaster of this magnitude: Stand up and fight. Game plan? Uncover and expose the Facebook hacker, win back her best friend’s trust, and graduate with a clean slate.

There’s just one snag—Cole. Turns out Lucy’s not the only one who’s been harboring unrequited love...
 
Why I'm Excited:

I actually had a WoW post already written and ready to go when I saw this gem while perusing GR. Seriously, this book looks and sounds amazing. I love the contemporary look at the effects of social media plus a sweet romance. One of the classes I'm teaching this semester is Modern Media so I'm extra sensitive at the moment of how social media is affecting students (and, you know, the world). The whole best friend's boyfriend thing has been done, but if anybody can make it fresh I'm sure it's Sarah Ockler. Also, that cover is awesome. Love. I know that June is forever away, but I had to feature this. I wants it now!

What are you waiting for on this Wednesday? Link me up! 

Hey lovely GFC and new followers, please follow me by Bloglovin as we all know Google Reader has gone/is going by the wayside. (I like to follow back, so please let me know if you're a new follower--and leave a link!) Thank you!!!

20 comments:

  1. This sounds REALLY good. I am glad they didn't have facebook etc. when I was in HS or college.

    Here is my WoW: http://jacquesbooknook.blogspot.com/2013/10/waiting-on-wednesday-bitter-pill-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cover, title and description. Sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for sharing :)

    Happy Wednesday!

    http://www.itchingforbooks.com/2013/10/waiting-on-wednesday-68-oblivion.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Especially love the use of the hashtag in the title!

    Here's my WoW: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/10/waiting-on-wednesday-bridget-jones-is.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I haven't read any of Ockler's books, but I hear such great things about her! And I love the idea behind this! Thanks for sharing Natalie!

    My WOW

    Jessica@Lovin' Los Libros

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pick! I just added this one to my TBR list and I really enjoyed Twenty Boy Summer, so I plan on checking this one out. I think the influence of social media on teenagers' lives should make for an interesting read. I can't imagine dealing with facebook, instagram, etc, as a teenager. Being a teenager was hard enough w/o all of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm so glad social media wasn't a thing when I was in high school.

      Delete
  6. I love that cover and the book sounds pretty cool!
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, I didn't know this had a cover! When I see Ockler a few months ago she talked about this book, and I've been looking forward to it ever since.

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard about this yet but it sounds amazing. I really love the cover and the main character sounds like someone I can get behind (even if she did do something crappy to her best friend).

    I hope teaching is going well, BTW, since you mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going great. I'm pretty tired all the time, but I love teaching and my students. Thanks for checking!

      Delete
  9. GORGEOUS blog. Love your background.

    Enjoy your books.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My W...W...W...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't heard of this, but I really like Sarah Ockler so I'll be checking this out. It sounds like fun...great pick! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh noe...things look like it's going to get ugly pretty fast on this book! Whelp. I'm mildly curious. I think I'll wait for a few reviews before I pick this one up.

    I hope you'll enjoy it, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great choice. I love the cover. It's so different! I have had this on my tbr for a while, but I just saw the cover yesterday. I hope we both enjoy it!
    Thanks for stopping by My WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds so awesome! I'm really excited to read it now. I want to know who put the pictures on Facebook, and why! Great pick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, this looks fantastic! I've heard some amazing things about Sarah Ockler's writing, but have yet to pick up one of her books. I need to get on that asap and I'll probably start with this one when it's released. :) I'm adding this to my TBR list right away. ^.^ Thanks for spotlighting this and for stopping by my WoW post. ^.^
    Happy Reading! :D

    -----
    Tiffa @ The British Book Nerd

    ReplyDelete
  15. YES!! I just came upon this one recently, and I'm so super excited for it. GREAT pick!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow! This is new to me but sounds so good! Adding to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, I'll pretty much read anything Sarah Ockler rights, but this one sounds even more awesome than the usual. And I think it's important to show how social media affects us all and could be used against us. Not that we aren't already aware, but sometimes we need a good reminder. Oh, and unrequited love...sigh. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!