Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday (72) The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 10:28 PM with 4 comments
Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases we are eagerly anticipating. Click the link to see the original post plus a whole slew of links to other blogs. After you read this one, of course.


17185496 The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly
 
Authors: Stephanie Oakes
Publisher: Dial
Release Date: June 9, 2015

Link to Goodreads:

When seventeen-year-old Minnow stumbles out of the woods one winter morning, she is haunted and handless and covered in someone else’s blood. She has just escaped the strict religious commune run by a cruel man named the Prophet. In exchange for freedom, she leaves behind her family, her home, and Jude--an outsider boy who changed everything. 

But the real world isn't the sanctuary Minnow imagined. Soon, she gets arrested and placed in juvenile detention. Now, Minnow is being questioned by an FBI psychiatrist about the night she escaped, the same night the Prophet was burned to death in his own home—a murder Minnow may be responsible for.

A modern retelling of the Grimm fairy tale, "The Handless Maiden," in which the Devil orders a girl's hands cut off, The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly is the story of a girl growing out of the wreckage of corrupted faith.

Why I'm Excited:

I have to admit that I've never been that interested in the whole cult thing. I'm definitely one who would never drink the kool-aid. This book, however, sounds so intriguing. I love that it is a retelling of a fairy tale while still sounding so original and different. I love a good mystery, and this sounds dark and awesome. I will most definitely be keeping my eyes open for this one.

What are you waiting for on this Wednesday? Link me up!

Hey lovely GFC and new followers, please follow me by Bloglovin as we all know Google Reader has gone/is going by the wayside. (I like to follow back, so please let me know if you're a new follower--and leave a link!) Thank you!!!





4 comments:

  1. I first heard about this book when it showed up on Cover Snark. While it does sound pretty dark, I kind of like it. I also like cultish books, though I haven't read many, so I'm interested to see how this one plays out.

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds a little gory, but a lot good. I'm definitely going to keep my eye out for this one. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really different! I haven't decided if I want to read it yet. I hope you enjoy it!
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hadn't heard of this one, but I may have to check it out. Handless…that's different. Great pick! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!