Friday, May 1, 2015

Weekly Rewind 5.2.15

Friday, May 1, 2015 10:20 PM with 9 comments



Weekly Rewind
The new books on my shelves and my week in a nutshell.




Since I started this blog I've participated in Stacking the Shelves, which is a weekly feature hosted by Tynga's Reviews, and I'm going to continue linking to that meme. Throughout my student teaching semester I was using my weekend post as a way to let people know what's going on in my life, so I've decided to rename my weekend post because this feature is more personal than just what books I've received. The Weekly Rewind will be about what's going on with me and my blog, as well as about the books I've added to my shelves.



My Life and Blog

Life: 20 teaching days left! And I'm going home on Wednesday night. This week went pretty quickly. The students finished their unit on figurative language and poetry. Next week we are starting The Diary of Anne Frank--the play. I plan on spending a good part of the weekend doing some job searching. That's honestly about all that is going on.

Blog: I was super busy this week getting interim grades posted and writing the unit test that I ignored the blog all week. I can't wait until the summer when I can actually read, write reviews, and blog hop. 5 more weeks. 

New books: I snagged an awesome haul from the library book sale last week, and have some pretty review books to share as well. So without further adieu, I hope you are all having fantastic weekends!

For Review

22999153  22609317 23110067
22999921 18304337 22011484 22926684

Cost of All Things by Maggie Lehrman
Per GR: "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind meets We Were Liars in this thought-provoking and brilliantly written debut that is part love story, part mystery, part high-stakes drama." Sounds amazing.
Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll
I'm not exactly sure what this is about, but I know it is supposed to have "twists" which is my kryptonite. 
Vanished by E.E. Cooper
A psychological thriller about a missing girl. 
Heat of the Moment by Lauren Barnholdt 
This is an interesting premise: Each book in this paperback original series is told from the perspective of a different girl—Lyla, Aven, and Quinn—former best friends who wrote emails to their future selves back in freshman year about one thing they hope to accomplish before they graduate. When the emails get delivered on the first morning of their senior trip all three girls will spend the next three days trying to keep the promises they made to themselves four years ago. While each book follow’s one girl’s life-changing adventure, you have to read them all to get the whole story, including why they’re no longer friends and whether they can get their friendship back on track.
A Matter of Heart by Amy Fellner Dominy
An olympic hopeful finds out she has a heart condition that could ruin her dream. 
Making Pretty by Corey Ann Haydu
A story about sisters named Montana and Arizona...which is painful, but I love sister stories. 
This looks adorable. 

What I Bought



Paper Valentine by Breanna Yovanoff
The ghost of her best friend is pushing a girl to investigate a string of murders. 
Flirting in Italian by Lauren Henderson
Four lucky girls spending a summer in Italy.
Don't Turn Around by Michelle Gagnon
A teen girl computer hacker gets in over her head.
Charm and Strange by Stephanie Kuehn
I've heard nothing but good things about this. Loving the fact that it is set at a boarding school. 
Wild Awake by Hilary T. Smith
I've heard great things about this one, too. It's about a teen whose parents are out of town when things go awry. 
A group of friends decide to take down the reality show being filmed at their high school. Sounds fun. 
Stardust by Neil Gaiman
I love the movie based on this book, but have never read it. 
I was thrilled to find an ARC of this. I was planning on buying this in PB when it came out, but that cover change is the worst one I have ever seen. 
Unhinged  by A.G. Howard
I liked Splintered, but never got around to the sequels. I was pretty happy with this find, as well. 
Shopaholic to the Stars by Sophie Kinsella
I didn't read the last book, but I couldn't resist snagging this...even if the series has grown pretty stale. 
Funny Girl by Nick Hornby 
This book just came out a couple of months ago. I was surprised to find it at the sale. It's worth more than I spent on all of these (plus the two movies I forgot to include in the picture). Gotta love library sales!

What I snagged from the library

   

A Most Violent Year Jessica Chastain  and Oscar Isaac
I love a good gangster film
Big Eyes with Amy Adams and Christoph Waltz
I'm excited to see a Tim Burton film that isn't...a Tim Burton film. I love both of these actors, and the story sounds interesting. 
Cake with Jennifer Aniston
I'm ready to be outraged that Jen wasn't nominated for an Oscar. Love her. 

Well that's it for me this week. Feel free to leave a link to whatever weekend post you do (Stacking the Shelves, In My Mailbox, etc). I love to see what books people have recently snagged and especially enjoy hearing about my fellow bloggers' weeks. I hope you are all having a fabulous weekend!

9 comments:

  1. Yay for going home!
    Awesome haul of books! I love Stardust (the movie and the book), the book is a bit different but still pretty awesome!
    Hope you enjoy your new books, have an awesome week!

    Cyn @ Bookmunchies

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy sister stories too, so I'm looking forward to Making Pretty. 5 weeks will fly by and then you'll be home! :-) My haul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20 days!?! Wow! That was quick. I hope it's an easy end of the school year for you. Enjoy all of your books! I am interested Heat of the Moment and I agree about Cake....love me some Jennifer Aniston!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so many books! I'm sure you're happy that the end of school is only 5 weeks away. Time to be with your husband…and read, of course. :) ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the "Stardust" movie too. I tried reading the book a few years ago but couldn't get into it. Happy reading!

    Tsuki’s STS

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got some awesome books! I really want to read The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy and Funny Girl! I hope you like your new reads! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm super super excited for Luckiest Girl Alive, I've read amazing reviews for it. Great haul!
    -Jon from Bookish Antics

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Anne Frank! I hope that goes well. It was always so fascinating yet sad to learn about those times in history.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!