Friday, August 28, 2015

Weekly Rewind 8.29.15

Friday, August 28, 2015 9:53 PM with 6 comments
Image result for natflixandbooks


Weekly Rewind
The new books on my shelves and my week in a nutshell.


Since I started this blog I've participated in Stacking the Shelves, which is a weekly feature hosted by Tynga's Reviews, and I'm going to continue linking to that meme. Throughout my student teaching semester I was using my weekend post as a way to let people know what's going on in my life, so I've decided to rename my weekend post because this feature is more personal than just what books I've received. The Weekly Rewind will be about what's going on with me and my blog, as well as about the books I've added to my shelves.

My Life and Blog

Life: School starts on Monday! I'm feeling as ready as I can feel, I think. The other members of the sixth-grade English team have been so helpful with getting everything all set up. This year is going to be very different for me because this district expects all grade-level department teachers to be teaching the same lessons with the same number of assessments that are all scheduled on the same day. There are advantages and disadvantages to this. I won't be able to be quite as creative as I was last year, BUT I'll have a lot more free time because I won't be constantly planning. Frankly, I'll take it. I can still have some areas where I'm creative with my lessons, and I'll always take less stress. I've gotten used to the idea of not having a permanent classroom, although I'm not a huge fan of one of the teachers I have to share a room with. The other two have been very warm and welcoming to me, and two out of three ain't bad (what's that song?). I got a cute banner for my cart and have decided that I'll do seasonal/holiday decorations on it. I think the students will like that--and really it is all about the students at the end of the day.

My husband is coming down this weekend, which is so nice. I'll have to go back to PA the next two weekends because he is going out of town for the week of Labor Day (starting the Friday before through the Sunday after), and I need to go snag our cats for the week. My landlord is being really nice and letting me bring them to my rental home for the week. I'll probably end up going three weekends in a row because I'll want to see my husband after not seeing him for three weeks, so it's so awesome I don't have to do the drive this weekend--especially with school starting on Monday.

Blog and reading: I was so hoping to blog more this summer...but I feel ok about just posting WoWs and Weekly Rewind posts if I'm honest. I do have at least one movie review to post--hopefully next week. I'm STILL reading Throne of Glass, although it's pretty slow-going. This week I started reading, like, 3 new books. I've gotten SO many books lately, and September's arcs are overwhelming me (because they all look so freaking awesome and I want to read them all--all at once). That's not even looking at the awesome books coming out in Sept that I don't have arcs for. Why are September books so awesome? Don't publisher know I have to go back to work? Lol.

New books: I am so beyond excited for the books I have to show you today. I seriously cannot handle it. So without further ado, I hope you are all having fabulous weekends!

For review

20662291 23845952 24396858 24039396

Stand-Off by Andrew Smith
Ryan Dean is back for his senior year of high school. He is bummed to find out that his roommate is a 12 year-old freshman (placed with him, of course, since he is a 15 year-old senior). I absolutely loved Winger and hope to read this this weekend (probably an unrealistic goal since I'll have my husband here). I read the first couple of chapters last night before my eyes closed, and was immediately drawn back into that world. Love.
I don't know why, but I've been dying to get my hands on this one. It sounds like an intriguing ghost story and that cover is amazing. So happy I snagged this one--finally!
Dead House by Dawn Kurtagisch
I'm about 60 pages into this, and it is super interesting so far. Based on the cover and title, I was expecting a haunted house, but it is really (at least so far) about two girls who share a body--one who inhabits it during the day and the other at night. They share a diary to communicate because the other is "gone" when one has control. I've read a couple of "I couldn't sleep after reading this" statements. There hasn't been anything scary yet, but I'm hoping it gets scary. Because I love to be scared. Because I'm a weirdo (and unfortunately, it takes a lot to scare me).
As far as I can tell, this is a story about a LGBTQ love triangle.

What I snagged from the library

19364719 23591078 

Books:
I love short story anthologies and have heard great things about this one.
Books on CD:
Paper Towns by John Green
I was kind of reading this this summer, but decided the audio would probably be the way to go. I haven't started it yet, but definitely want to read (listen to) it before I watch the movie.
Movie:
Insurgent
I have yet to finish reading this series (yes, I know how it ends--which is why have yet to finish it. It really wasn't my favorite series to begin with). That said, I enjoyed the first movie, and am excited to see this one.

Well that's it for me this week. Feel free to leave a link to whatever weekend post you do (Stacking the Shelves, In My Mailbox, etc). I love to see what books people have recently snagged and especially enjoy hearing about my fellow bloggers' weeks. I hope you are all having a fabulous weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck next week with teaching! I hope it goes well. I just finished Appearance of Annie and thought it was good, but not as good as I was hoping. I can't wait to hear your thoughts. I hope you enjoy Paper Towns. I liked it, but Looking For Alaska is still my favorite of Green's. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you got some great books. I hope you enjoy them and have a great week.

    Diane @ Diane's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes on a great start to the new school year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fans of the Impossible Life sounds really amazing! I adore the cover as well. I hope you have a good year. :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another positive outcome from this year is that it is going to look awesome on a resume when you describe that you have planned your own lessons and you have taught team-built lesson plans. Also, you are going to be able to say that you have had your own classroom and you have been a free-range teacher - you are going to make that resume look awesome with your teaching diversity!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know! The cover for THE APPEARANCE is so creepy-cool. I love it.

    Best of luck with the start of the school year. You'll be great!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!