Friday, September 23, 2016

Weekly Rewind 9.24.16

Friday, September 23, 2016 9:37 PM with 13 comments

Image result for natflixandbooks
Weekly Rewind
The new books on my shelves and my week in a nutshell.

Throughout my student teaching semester I was using my weekend post as a way to let people know what's going on in my life, so I'v decided to rename my weekend post because this feature is more personal than just what books I've received. The Weekly Rewind will be about what's going on with me and my blog, as well as about the books I've added to my shelves. This post is linked to Stacking the Shelves over at Tynga's Reviews and the Sunday Post over at Caffeinated Book Reviewer



My Life and Blog

Life: I'm writing this on Thursday because I'm going home tomorrow. I haven't seen my honey in three weeks, so I'm so excited to go home this weekend. This week was incredibly long. I don't have anything much to report this week. It is still hot af. I cannot wait for the weather to start cooling off. Fall in the east is so gorgeous.

Blog and reading: I couldn't resist the audio freebie TTT this week, and I also posted a WoW (despite the host site not posting a link-up for a solid month now. Does anybody know if she is ok? Not to sound callous but has anybody else picked up the meme linky?). I'm still slumping hardcore. I finished my audio reread of Girl on the Train, which I highly recommend if you like audiobooks. It is narrated by three women who each have lovely English accents. I started an audio reread of Carry On today. I like the audio so far. I'm kind of reading Six of Crows, but not really. I've started several e-arcs that I have, but nothing is holding my interest. Hopefully I'll snap out of it soon.

New Books: I have some gorgeous titles to share with you this week. So without further ado, I hope you're all having fabulous weekends!

For Review

28686840 28448287 28220826 23566912 
27191194 25485029 25430248 28110862

Holding up the Universe by Jennifer Niven
I know this is about a (former?) extremely fat girl and a boy who cannot see faces who fall in love. I know that this synopsis caused a huge amount of backlash last year (backlash I stayed out of completely--like I stay out of really any book community outrage). A couple of people I trust have read and enjoyed this, and I am excited to read it. 
Replica by Lauren Oliver
Definitely interested in this much-buzzed about book told from the perspective of two girls. I like Lauren Oliver's writing, although I've only read her contemporary work. 
When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore
This is a magical realism story with a transgender protagonist. Sounds interesting and the cover is quite charming. 
Spare and Found Parts by Sarah Marie Griffin
Speaking of charming covers, I LOVE this one. I don't really understand what this one is about, but, oh so charming. 
Disruption by Jessica Shirvington 
This sound like a typical dystopian novel about a future society where a microchip tells people who their soulmate is. 
We Know it Was You by Maggie Thrash
This says Twin Peaks meets Pretty Little Liars. That sounds a little too good to be true, but I'm willing to give it a try. 
Crosstalk by Connie Willis
This is an adult SF romance. I adore this cover and it sounds so intrigued. 
Wrecked  by Maria Padian
This is about a college sexual assault from the perspective of two people not involved. I used to shy away from super serious subject books but after reading books like Tease and The Truth About Alice, I don't automatically turn around from it now. 

Well that's it for me this week. Feel free to leave a link to whatever weekend post you do (Stacking the Shelves, The Sunday Post, etc). I love to see what books people have recently snagged and especially enjoy hearing about my fellow bloggers' weeks. I hope you are all having a fabulous weekend!

13 comments:

  1. I think "Cross Talk" looks amazing. I'm going to try and get a library copy. Happy reading!

    Tsuki’s STS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic books this week! I will have to check a few of these out as they are new to me. I hope you have a great weekend at home. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you got some wonderful looking books this week! I just added several of them on GoodReads. That is why I love this feature. I really enjoy seeing what books people get. It exposes me to books I didn't know about. Have fun reading them@

    ReplyDelete
  4. The covers on your new books are all so pretty! We Know it Was You and When the Moon Was Ours both sounds really good. Can't wait to see what you think of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so many wonderful books this week. I hope you love all of your new books.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bah. It sucks that you're still having a reading slump. I've pretty much disappeared this past week because I've been sick. Today is the first day that I feel kind of ok (ok enough to blog and visit, anyway).

    I hope you'll enjoy your time with your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you had a great visit home! The weather is nice here, not as hot as it was. I will miss the warmer weather once fall really arrives.

    I just got The Girl on the Train from the library. I want to read it but at the same time I want to watch the movie first so I don't know what happens going into it. Glad to know you liked the book. I may check out the audio sometime.

    Crosstalk is one I'm interested in too. I hope you like it. The premise sounds really cool. I haven't read much SF for adults (except books relating to Star Wars or Star Trek which probably doesn't count).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too loved the audio narration of Girl on a Train. Enjoy your weekend home. I think a lot of folks are perplexed about the Wow situation. Hope this week is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of those covers are pulling me in! *heads over to Goodreads to add all eight books*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you have a great weekend home. I'm looking forward to Replica too, and Girl on the Train seems like it would be good as an audio. I am looking forward to that movie a lot.

    I'm not sure what's going on with WoW either- hope everything is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for great books this week! I think it's neat that you reread books by listening to the audio. I don't frequently reread books, so that is a great idea for how I might revisit them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you enjoyed your weekend away and enjoyed the time with your partner.

    I love the look of your new books - so many great covers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like you have lots of good books to look forward to! Wrecked is on my list, too!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!