Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Waiting on Wednesday (190) The Gatekeepers

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 8:57 PM with 6 comments
Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases we are eagerly anticipating. Click the link to see the original post plus a whole slew of links to other blogs. After you read this one, of course.


32059275
The Gatekeepers

Author: Jen Lancaster 

Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: October 10, 2017

Goodreads:


Anyone passing through North Shore, IL, would think this was the most picture-perfect place ever, with all the lakefront mansions and manicured hedges and iron gates. No one talks about the fact that the brilliant, talented kids in this town have a terrible history of throwing themselves in front of commuter trains, and that there's rampant opioid abuse that often leads to heroin usage.

Meet Simone, the bohemian transfer student from London, who is thrust into the strange new reality of the American high school; Mallory, the hyper-competitive queen bee; and Stephen, the first generation genius who struggles with crippling self-doubt. Each one is shocked when lovable football player Braden takes his own life and the tragedy becomes a suicide cluster. With so many students facing their own demons, can they find a way to save each other—as well as themselves?

Inspired by the true events that happened in the author’s home town.

Why I'm Excited: I quite enjoy Jen Lancaster's nonfiction/memiors. She is incredibly funny (even if I don't know I'd really want to be friends with her, per se). I haven't read any of her fiction yet, though. I'm excited to see what she does with YA, and while I'm wary of suicide stories, I do believe that she'll do the subject matter justice since it the background of the story is personal to her. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for this one. 

What are you waiting for on this Wednesday? Link me up!

6 comments:

  1. I tend to stay away from these types of books but I do hope you'll enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a tough subject, but it sounds like the author can deal with this in a good way -- fingers crossed! Here's mine: http://editingeverything.com/blog/2017/04/26/cant-wait-waiting-wednesday-marriage-thousand-lies/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of her novels before, but I have heard good things. This one sounds pretty intense, but I am definitely curious about it. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Covers with three people on it always make me nervous. o_o So cool that the author is writing a YA book, after writing memoirs and nonfiction. I hope you enjoy this book when you get the chance to read it!

    Have a fabulous week, Natalie. =)

    Check out my WoW post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I haven't read anything by her. Sounds like a new thing for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read anything by this author or heard of this book until just now, so thanks for putting it on my radar. Awesome WoW pick! :)

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!