Friday, February 6, 2015

Weekly Rewind 2.7.15

Friday, February 6, 2015 6:23 PM with 6 comments



Weekly Rewind
The new books on my shelves and my week in a nutshell.




Since I started this blog I've participated in Stacking the Shelves, which is a weekly feature hosted by Tynga's Reviews, and I'm going to continue linking to that meme. Throughout my student teaching semester I was using my weekend post as a way to let people know what's going on in my life, so I've decided to rename my weekend post because this feature is more personal than just what books I've received. The Weekly Rewind will be about what's going on with me and my blog, as well as about the books I've added to my shelves.

My Life and Blog

Life: It's my birthday weekend. Another year. For the first time in my life I am spending my birthday alone. I decided to fly home next weekend because I get President's Day off, so taking two vacation days next weekend will give me a five day weekend instead of a four day one. While I'm a little bummed to be alone, he surprised me with a gorgeous bouquet that he had delivered to my school (which my principal and vice principal hand delivered). I was surprised by how excited my students were to wish me a happy birthday. I even had a few students sing me energetic renditions of happy birthday. The other ladies in the English department also surprised me with a lovely cupcake and a B&N gift card. I did a little early book shopping this week, which I'm going to share today, and now I get to take another trip. I might save it for a rainy day when I need a pick-me-up, though. We'll see...



Last weekend my sister and her family did end up taking me to Universal Studios. It was pretty crazy there because it was Harry Potter Day, but we got on all the rides we wanted to. I got to see Diagon Alley and Gringotts for the first time and rode the train between the two parks, all of which were amazing.

At school my classes are finally done reading A Wrinkle in Time. I saved the movie for Thursday and Friday (so I could just show a movie on my birthday--lol). What's crazy to me is that when I asked my classes if they enjoyed it, most of the classes either all did or all did't. I had a couple of classes where almost all of the students said they liked it, and a couple of classes where they all said they didn't. It made me think about how the classes that did enjoy it had a couple of students who were enthusiastic about it which made the other students enthusiastic. Funny how that works. 

New books: Despite having so many new books to read in February, I have been rereading Fangirl. I didn't mean to, but I saw it on the shelf at the library and just couldn't help but snag it. Oops. I am excited about the books I have to share today, so without further adieu, I hope you are all having fabulous weekends!

For Review

22456909 18660756 22392915 23250053

The Bargaining by Carly Anne West
This sounds pretty scary with its broken down cabin and the visions children that beckon the protagonist into the woods. I put aside the author's debut last year, but I'm hoping to connect with this one more. I love the cover.
This one is about a group of teens who get lost in the woods when separated from the rest of their group. I don't think this one is a thriller, so much as a realistic read about a girl overcoming bullying.
Better Than Perfect by Melissa Kantor
I actually just bought this author's debut Maybe One Day which recently came out in paperback. This book follows a girl on the path to Harvard who begins to realize that maybe there is more to life than striving for perfection.
The Deep End by Julie Mulhern
This was one of those random snags. I like the occasional mystery, but usually pick up dark ones when I feel like one. This sounds like a chick-lit mystery, and pretty fun. Did anybody read those Red Dress Ink books when that publisher was around? There was this one series that followed a girl named Rachel Benjamin that were chick-lit mysteries. I was bummed when that publisher folded.

What I Bought



Vicious by V.E. Schwab
This was my favorite book of 2013, so of course I had to snag it now that it is out in PB.
Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor
This book about friendship and cancer seems to be hit or miss for most readers, but I'm hoping to love it.
DUFF by Jodi Keplinger
I've been meaning to read this one for years. Yes, I bought the movie cover, it was on sale...

What I snagged from the library

 22168240 18465837 

Book:
While I had the e-arc of this, it is definitely a book that should be read in the traditional form as it is full of big glossy photos. 
Audio:
The One and Only by Emily Giffin
Emily Giffin was once my favorite chick-lit author. I loved Something Borrowed, Something Blue, and Baby Proof, but was really disappointed with her last couple of books. I'm on the fourth cd of this book and will probably end up DNFing. *Spoiler--although you'll see it coming from a mile a way* It is headed in an icky direction of a woman in her early 30s falling for her best friend's father after he was recently widowed. Just ew. For real.
Movie:
Annabelle
Nothing like watching a scary doll movie when you have the house all to yourself...

Well that's it for me this week. Feel free to leave a link to whatever weekend post you do (Stacking the Shelves, In My Mailbox, etc). I love to see what books people have recently snagged and especially enjoy hearing about my fellow bloggers' weeks. I hope you are all having a fabulous weekend!



6 comments:

  1. It was my birthday week as well. But I'm keeping it on the d/l. Lol. Not much of a celebration until next week, that is. I hope you'll enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I'm sorry you were alone for your birthday. :( At least you received flowers! They look really pretty too. Ooh, a B&N gift card, that's like the best present ever. :)

    Glad you had fun at Universal Studios. I've never been. I didn't know they had Harry Potter Day either, that's interesting. LOl.

    I remember when my fifth grade teacher read the class A Wrinkle in Time. :) That's interesting about how radically different your classes liked the movie.

    I need to one day read Fangirl. Whoa, freeze! I did NOT know Better Than Perfect was written by Melissa Kantor aka the author of Maybe One Day which I just read this past week. I really liked it. I'll have to check that out then. I've heard mixed things about The Distance Between Lost and Found but I hope you like it. I haven't heard of the two.

    Ooh! DUFF! I just read that one this past week (right before Maybe One Day). I don't know how I feel about the movie cover, I'm not crazy about the original, but it makes me glad I caught it on sale a few months back.

    In regards to The One and Only, I just have one thing to say, gross. About the whole spoiler.

    Wow, you're brave. I wouldn't watch a scary (doll) movie in a house FULL of people, let alone…alone. Haha. Have a good week and happy belated birthday.

    My weekend post isn't up yet but the highlights for books this week have been I'll Meet You There and Us, both of which I bought today finally.

    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome books this week! Happy Birthday!! I also have Better than Perfect and The Bargaining for review. I am a little nervous to read The Bargaining…I've read some mixed reviews; plus, I hear it's pretty creepy. I haven't read The One and Only, but I usually enjoy Emily Giffin's novels; however, I haven't read her latest. That plot line with her friend's father is sort of gross. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Fangirl! Enjoy your birthday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! Love those flowers! :) I've been meaning to watch Annabelle - I love me a scary doll movie. I love YA horror too - I watched Ouija last week - and let me tell you it is not as bad as everyone says it is! I enjoyed it pretty much. Happy reading!

    Check Out My STS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harry Potter Day! Must have been packed. Better Than Perfect sounds good, I need to add that one to my TBR. I liked The Duff…can't wait for the movie. I'm debating whether I want to reread it or not. Sometimes that makes me more picky about the movie when they make changes but at the same time I like knowing what's the same and what's different. Have fun reading and Happy Birthday!! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Belated Birthday! The flowers from your husband, cupcake, and B&N gift card all sound like the makings of a pretty good day!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!