Friday, July 24, 2015

Weekly Rewind 7.25.15

Friday, July 24, 2015 11:24 PM with 9 comments
Image result for natflixandbooks



Weekly Rewind
The new books on my shelves and my week in a nutshell.




 

Since I started this blog I've participated in Stacking the Shelves, which is a weekly feature hosted by Tynga's Reviews, and I'm going to continue linking to that meme. Throughout my student teaching semester I was using my weekend post as a way to let people know what's going on in my life, so I've decided to rename my weekend post because this feature is more personal than just what books I've received. The Weekly Rewind will be about what's going on with me and my blog, as well as about the books I've added to my shelves.

Life and Blog

Life: Where is summer going!?! Why can't, say, March go as quickly as July does? So unfair. I might actually have some news for y'all next week...but I can't say any more today. I'm doing well. I'm just enjoying my time at home with my husband and cats. Sleeping in almost every day (mornings are going to be brutal in just a couple of weeks), watching TV, hanging out with my friends, getting some reading done. Summer. Summers are awesome.

Blog and reading: This week my WoW featured a new YA mystery coming out next spring. I also posted a new Why, Publishers, Why?! that focuses on a re-issue change. As far as reading, I did finish The Fixer a couple of days ago, and have started reading The Cuckoo's Calling and re-reading Me and Earl and the Dying Girl so I can watch the movie. I've also cautiously started The Boy Most Likely To (although it hasn't really been my focus). I keep trying to decide if I need to re-read My Life Next Door first...I think I've decided that I don't. I remember the characters well enough to enjoy it without re-reading it--especially since it isn't an actual sequel. 

New books: I have a pile of books to show you today that I'm excited about. So without further adieu, I hope you are all having fabulous weekends! 

For Review

22718802 22607975 18588738 
 23492648 18978515 19561918 
 The Night Sister 25868559 25757649

I was immediately drawn to this charming cover. I hope what's inside is as cute.  
It's About Love by Steve Camden
Per GR: "He's Luke. She's Leia. Just like in Star Wars. Just like they’re made for each other. Same film studies course, different backgrounds, different ends of town." I'm a Star Wars nerd, so this sounds right up my alley. 
After the Red Rain by Barry Lyga (and others) 
A post-apocalyptic novel featuring a strong heroine. Because that's, like, the thing if you didn't know. 
Trust No One by Paul Cleave
A famous mystery author has confessed to the crimes in all of his books...but no one believes him because he has early-onset Alzheimers. I love a good, dark mystery, and this sounds intriguing. 
From Where I Watch You by Shannon Grogan
I'm not exactly sure what this YA thriller is about. I know it has a cooking competition, a dead sister, and a stalker leaving notes. Has anybody read this one yet?  
School for Sidekicks by Kelly McCoullaugh
The name says it all, I think. Looks fun. 
The Night Sister by Jennifer McMahon
About a creepy hotel and three girls who grew up together. I've never read anything by this author, but I've heard good things. 
Girl World by Patricia Ottaviano 
I don't talk about it that often, but my dream is to one day be an author. Not necessarily YA, but the book will undoubtedly contain at least one teenage girl. Because of that, I love to read non-fiction books about adolescents today. It also helps with my day job.
The Cannibals by Cynthia Grant
A new boy in school with the last name Cannibal shows up in town and a director wants to film a horror movie in the high school. Sounds fun.

What I bought


The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
I'm FINALLY reading this. 
I read this when it first came out, but wanted to re-read it before I watch the movie. Also, I remember loving it, so might as well own it. 

What I snagged from the library

20821111

Young Elites by Marie Lu
I've heard great things about this author, but haven't read anything by her yet. I love this cover. 
Ex Machina
This looks pretty interesting. Anybody seen it?

Well that's it for me this week. Feel free to leave a link to whatever weekend post you do (Stacking the Shelves, In My Mailbox, etc). I love to see what books people have recently snagged and especially enjoy hearing about my fellow bloggers' weeks. I hope you are all having a fabulous weekend!

9 comments:

  1. I've never actually read Me & Earl, but I heard it's a hoot with some serious undertones. Glad you're having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Haul. I hope you enjoy reading your books and have a great weekend!

    Diane @ Diane's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the Cormoran Strike series and I am eagerly waiting for book three. Happy reading!

    Tsuki’s STS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you love all your new books this week. They look amazing. The Night Sister has a great cover.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you like The Young Elites! I enjoyed it!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a copy of After the Red Rain too! I'm hoping to read it soon because it sounds excellent. I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on it.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great haul! I really want to read The Young Elites, I hope you enjoy everything you got!

    Here is my StS

    Justin @ Justin's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am watching Ex Machina right now! SO WEIRD! It is pretty good so far. It really trips up your mind, and the CGI is fantastic!

    "So unfair. I might actually have some news for y'all next week...but I can't say any more today."
    *jumps up and down* TELL NOW! I can't wait a whole week!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got How To Say I Love You Out Loud too…hope it's good!

    Marie Lu…LOVED her Legend series.

    Have fun reading! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!