Tuesday, April 30, 2013



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme/original feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Click the link to go to their site to see the original list for today plus links to a whole slew of other blogs. After you read mine, of course.





 
Today's topic is: The top ten words/topics that will make me pick up a book 

1. Prep, boarding, or private school. 
Always. Say any of those words and I'm SOLD.

PrepEtiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1)The Catcher in the Rye


2. Contemporary YA
I'll read paranormal and fantasy, but my heart belongs to contemporary.

The Reece Malcolm ListGoldenThe List  

3. Swoony Romance
 Everyone needs a sweet, heart-warming book sometimes

Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)My Life Next DoorThis Is What Happy Looks Like  

4. Kick-ass heroine
I like my heroines strong and smart

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-BanksThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)  

5. Circus
 Oh, the circus. I love just adore it as a setting.

Water for ElephantsThat Time I Joined the CircusThe Night Circus 

6. Spies
Is there anything cooler than a spy?

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1)Also Known AsHeist Society (Heist Society, #1)  

7. Re-tellings  
I love books that put a new spin on an old story from classics, to fairytales, to myths
Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1)For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1)Abandon (Abandon Trilogy, #1)

8. Jessica Darling
I love this series so much. Marcus and Jessica 4-ever!
Sloppy Firsts (Jessica Darling, #1)Second Helpings (Jessica Darling, #2)Charmed Thirds (Jessica Darling, #3)   

9. Sisters
I love books that focus on strong sister bonds
The Weird SistersMind Games (Mind Games, #1)The Solomon Sisters Wise Up 

10. A picture of the beach on the cover
I'll always pause for a beach cover. I love summer.
MaineAll the Summer GirlsThe Castaways   


So what about you? What are the words/topics you always go for? Sound off below.

*Followers and comments are welcome and much appreciated. If you leave a comment, please also leave your link so that I can come visit you. I will always try to follow those who follow me, but if I somehow miss you, please just let me know. Happy reading!

36 comments:

  1. Ooo Circus is a great one, I loved the Night Circus.

    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books about sisters and the circus too. I cannot wait to read Mind Games.

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love basically everything you picked, Natalie! I especially love contemporaries, boarding schools and everything romance. I like my fantasy/dystopia/paranromal/sci-fi etc spiced with romance as well. The thing I don't appreciate is love triangles though.. I hate being in the wrong team and overall they're just so emotionally tiring and not in a good way. Ugly cry is a good emotional release for me LOL. Also, kick-ass heroines are my favorite :-) Yay! Love the books you picked out as well;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray for kick-ass heroines and swoony romances! And I loved The Weird Sisters too. Great list!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I'm not a fan of school set stories, I do love sibling relationships :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our lists matched! Yay for kick-ass heroines and boarding schools! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great list! I should have thought of sisters, spies, kick-ass heroines, and re-tellings as those catch my eye as well!

    Thank you for stopping by my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, great list! I always secretly wanted to go to boarding school, so I enjoy those kind of books too. Kick-ass heroines and spies are high on my list too. :-)

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes to prep schools or private schools and swoony romances and contemporaries and re-tellings.
    And I have kick ass heroines and beach on my list too.
    Thanks for stopping by my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by our TTT. I haven't tried the Jessica Darling series yet. I'll have to add it to my TBR list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agree with the majority of these! Wish I would have thought to put sisters on my list because I do love books about them. Probably because I have two of my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely top ten!! :D I like books that focus on sisters too. And re-tellings as well - I have a ton right now that are in my TBR pile. Thanks for stopping by my TTT!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, I can't believe I forgot the circus! I love books that involve the circus! Great list, and thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great picks! I agree with most of them. I have seen a lot of people put "spies" on their list, but I don't think I've read any spy-books... :p

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list! Thanks for stopping by my TTT!
    I love spies, swoony romances and re-tellings too. I LOVE swoony romances. Great choice!

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, boarding schools, great one! I read so many books based on this...heck, I'm even writing one on and off, lol. Swoony romance, ooh, anna! I haven't read the other two examples, but I want to. Circus, yes, another big one for me! Love your choices! Spies are fun...and you already know I love a good retelling. ;) Did you see that they're coming out with a new MG Jessica Darling? Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see that they are making a MG Jessica Darling. I'll read it, of course, but I am kind of on the fence about it. I like thinking of Jessica as an adult now. I'm not sure how I feel about her life going backwards. And, to be honest, I rarely read MG. I just hope it's good. I don't anything to ruin my love for these books!

      Delete
  17. yes yes yes to boarding schools!! how did I forget about those!! I haven't seen that "Etiquette and Espionage" one before... it's going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with you in the school stories, I love them. Ditto contemp YA. And I really need to read some circus books, all 3 are on my wish list with ages. Great choices :-)

    BookishTrish @ Between the Lines

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your picks!! Hooray for spies!! I just finished Etiquette and Espionage and I loved it. That boarding school was amazing!!!
    Thanks for stopping by my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love how you gave examples of the books within that topic! Can't wait to read some of those. Great list, too...I agree on almost all of them. =) New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with you, except for the circus. So far I haven't liked any books that include a circus because it seems to be just a background and we see nothing of it. Great list, though (:

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your list! I actually found a few books to add to my TBR list on Goodreads! Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have to agree with you about swoony romances. ;) Nice list.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, quite a few of these are things I actually try to stay away from! Haha. Not actively, but I just don't really care for stories that focus entirely on romance, or have a beach, or have boarding schools. I want fantastical worlds and action! So hey, at least we agree on the kick ass heroine! Always need more of those.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think my favorite on this list is the Circus!!! I love the circus... I also love sister stories, but I need them to be GOOD because I have two sisters and I won't believe just anything!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome list, New Follower, I totally forgot about Circuses and retellings, I would have to pick those up as well. Thanks for sharing and visiting my TTT. =]

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really good list! And I love that you put some example books for each topic. I should say I do but my TBR list doesn't haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Spies! Good choice! I like retellings, too, but mostly fairy tale retellings.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love how your one topic is Jessica Darling! I am on Fourth Comings, and I'm almost reluctant to finish the series because once it's done, it's done. :( But I'm loving it so much! I love your other picks, especially the circus! Loved Water for Elephants! And I desperately need to read Etiquette & Espionage! Great list, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love Jessica Darling. You've just made me want to re-read them!

    And I don't think I've ever read a circus book... but now I'm beyond curious!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh absolutely on the swoony romances. Anna and the French Kiss is definitely one of my favorite - and most recommended - books ever! Love you're list and thanks for visiting mine!

    Oh! And I'm a new follower, too... thought I'd let ya know. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!