Friday, March 24, 2017

Weekly Rewind 3.25.17

Friday, March 24, 2017 9:29 PM with 16 comments

Image result for natflixandbooks
The Weekly Rewind

The new books on my shelves and my week in a nutshell.

Throughout my student teaching semester I was using my weekend post as a way to let people know what's going on in my life, so I've decided to rename my weekend post because this feature is more personal than just what books I've received. The Weekly Rewind will be about what's going on with me and my blog, as well as about the books I've added to my shelves. This post is linked to Stacking the Shelves over at Tynga's Reviews and the Sunday Post over at Caffeinated Book Reviewer.


My Life and Blog

Life: Home again for the weekend. My husband and I are going out with two of our couple friends to a new place for dinner, which I’m excited about. Besides my best friend (who has been my best friend for most of my life...and who lives across the country), I’ve lost track of most of the friends while working out of town for the last three years. I think most of the people who read my posts are also adults, so I’m sure you can understand how difficult it can be to make new friends. I love a couple of the women that I work with, but I go out of town almost every weekend, and we all have our own busy lives. It’s hard, sometimes, finding people to connect with, especially as a book nerd who throws on sweats the minute I get home and basically refuses to leave the house once those sweats are on. So, anyway, Yay, a night out!

Blog and reading: A WoW and a review for the book Just Another Girl this week. I’m in the middle of a trillion books right now. I started reading A Gathering of Shadows after finally finishing A Darker Shade of Magic a couple of weeks ago. I’ve been rereading All the Boys I Used to Love, so I can move on to the second book before the third one comes out this spring. I’m reading Alex, Approximately, which is a YA You’ve Got Mail, and The End of Our Story, which both come out the first week of April. There are so many good books coming out in April! I’m not the best about reading all of the arcs I snag, but I have a real goal to get to all the ones I have for April. I also picked up 13 Reasons Why a couple of days ago in preparation for the show. I’ve owned that book for ages, and am excited to finally get to it. Finally, I snagged Tom Perrotta’s upcoming book on Wednesday and immediately dived in. I truly only meant to read the first chapter, but now I’m almost half-way through. I love his writing and am really enjoying this one. So, yeah, it’s not unreasonable to be reading six books at once, is it?

New books: Again, April is an amazing month for books. I’m very excited for the ones I’m showcasing today. So without further ado, I hope you’re all having fabulous weekends!

For Review

33584812 30653844 18484793 
31423549 30612667 34229387


Mrs. Fletcher by Tom Perrotta
Tom Perrotta is one of my favorite authors. Election is easily in my top three favorite books of all-time. This follows both a son and his mother and the son embarks on his first year of college and the mom has an empty nest for the first time, as she is divorced from his father. I’m loving it so far.
End of Our Story by Meg Haston
Two teens who were once together find their way back to each other after one of them suffers a great loss. I’m about a quarter of the way through this and am enjoying it so far.
Gem & Dixie by Sara Zarr
I’m not exactly sure what this is about, but I know it follows two sisters who haven’t had the best life. I’m loving this cover.
Royce Rolls by Margaret Stohl
From what I’m gathering about this book, this basically follows a Kardashian like family and the girl who is trying to save her family’s reality show from cancellation. I’m not going to lie, I HATE everything about the Kardashian family, so I’m a bit wary about this, but the premise does sound fairly enjoyable.
Pretty Fierce by Kieran Scott
This follows a girl who’s parents are professional assassins. That’s all I needed to read in order to be interested.
I read a review that compared this to Simon vs. the Homo Sapien Agenda, which definitely peaked my interest.

What I snagged from the library

30375703 Image result for edge of seventeen movie poster

Valiant by Lesley Livingston
This book about a femal gladitor seems to be getting some good buzz. Definitely curious.
Movie:
The Edge of Seventeen
I'm so excited to see this one. I wanted to see it in the theater, but just never got around to it.

Well that's it for me this week. Feel free to leave a link to whatever weekend post you do (Stacking the Shelves, The Sunday Post, etc). I love to see what books people have recently snagged and especially enjoy hearing about my fellow bloggers' weeks. I hope you are all having a fabulous weekend!


16 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your thoughts on that latest Tom Perrotta novel. I haven't tried the author yet but I have a book of his that's been on my TBR for ages.

    It's great to catch up with friends, and so glad to hear you're home for the weekend. :D

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gasped out loud when I saw you got The Valiant from the library. I'm really excited to read that one myself once I get my hands on it.

    My STS

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of awesome Books this week. hope you love all of them.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really scared about making new friends after I graduate... I'm graduating in May and I'll be starting to work full-time in June. I went to/am at a university that is close to home, but most of my uni friends came from various states, and probably won't stick around in Baltimore, so I'll have to make new friends and that is SO hard! I'm not looking forward to it. :(

    On the bright side, you got a ton of great books! I loved The Valiant. I met Lesley at the NoVa Teen Festival and she is SO great. Her personality is so exuberant and lively!

    I hope you enjoy all of your new books! Have a fantastic weekend, Natalie. =)

    Check out my STS post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't usually read books with teen characters, but I looked up The Valiant and it does sound interesting. I hope you enjoy all your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sound of The End of our Story. I'll nee to pu that on my TBR list. The Edge of Seventeen was very good and funny. Great haul this week, Natalie. :)

    My STS

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a lot of good stuff coming out in April. I have a ton of books on my list right now! Glad you're getting to see an old friend and have a nice couples outing- that's always nice (and hard sometimes when you work and have a busy life). I'm thinking strongly of trying The Valiant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your day sounds lovely, it IS hard to have friends once you grow up.
    Lovely haul too! I am intrigued about Get it Together.
    Here's My STS

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally know what you mean about making friends as an adult. It doesn't help that a lot of the people are work with are older than I am so it's hard to really see them outside of work unless it's a group thing. I deifntiely try and make the effort to see a few people at least a couple of times a month so I'm not always just chilling by myself. It's all about trying to do things in the week. Just an evening a week or something.

    I saw Edge of Seventeen this weekend as I also missed it in the cinema. It's a good watch, I enjoyed it. It was funny and overly dramatic, just like high school life is.

    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to your thoughts on Valiant. I've been curious about that one. I hope you had a nice night out! I hear you about maintaining friendships. I feel the same way. It's hard when everyone has a lot going on! I hope you had a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wanted to see Edge of Seventeen in theaters but never made it, so I hope to watch it soon too!

    I know what you mean about making new friends as an adult. I wish it could be easier!

    I'm in the middle of A Darker Shade of Magic. I hope to finish it this week, but I'm also trying to get e-arcs for March finished by the end of the month, so we'll see. haha

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Weekly Rewind is an awesome name.

    Our local bookstore did a few silent reading parties. I thought it was a no pressure way to meet other people who enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really can't wait to get my hands on The End of Our Story and Gem & Dixie. They' re some of my most anticipated books of the month! Same goes for The Valiant. Hope you enjoy all of them and have a wonderful week!

    Elena @ Book Lady's Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love when a book grabs you like that! Dinner with friends sounds great. We have moved so much, it has been hard to make adult friends our age. Have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know exactly how you feel - making friends as an adult can be hard! I'm pretty shy, which really doesn't make it any easier...! My partner and I have to make a concerted effort to actually go out every once in a while, it's far too easy to become hermits and just stay at home watching Netflix every night!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Reading six books at once is definitely intense XD And yes, there are so many amazing new books coming out in April! Finally, I hope you love The Valiant as much as I did--such a fantastic book :) Great post!

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!