Friday, December 12, 2014

Weekly Rewind 12.13.14

Friday, December 12, 2014 7:36 PM with 11 comments



Weekly Rewind
The new books on my shelves and my week in a nutshell.







Since I started this blog I've participated in Stacking the Shelves, which is a weekly feature hosted by Tynga's Reviews, and I'm going to continue linking to that meme. Throughout my student teaching semester I was using my weekend post as a way to let people know what's going on in my life, so I've decided to rename my weekend post because this feature is more personal than just what books I've received. The Weekly Rewind will be about what's going on with me and my blog, as well as about the books I've added to my shelves.

My Life and blog

Life: School/teaching is going pretty well. The past couple of days have been a bit crazy. They are SO close to their Christmas breaks and their restlessness is practically radiating from them. My one *ahem* especially lively class were like little monkeys today. I seriously had like a demon voice come out of me that cracked me up. I couldn't even keep a straight face because it sounded like I needed a freaking exorcism while yelling at them to stop acting like they were in a zoo. I can't blame them. I'm restless for break, too, and I'm an adult. I try to put myself into their 13/14 year-old shoes whenever I feel like doing things that would certainly get me fired...like strangling them. Lol. Right now we are reading A Wrinkle in Time which is one of my favorites. I think some of them are digging it, but man can it be hard to reach this age group. I know there are still readers amongst them, but I also feel like the more technology advances, and as more and more social networking sites pop up, the less kids/teens read for fun. 

Next week should be awesome. Monday is a regular day, but Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are all half day for the students. On Tues, I have periods one and two; on Wed, I have periods three and four; and on Thurs, I have periods five and six. The students are done at 12:45 on those days, and while I have to be at the school until 4 like always, there are fun activities like cookie swaps, and a staff luncheon, so it won't really be work. And while I do have students, they will be taking their mid-terms, so they will all be silent classes while they just take their test. On Thursday, I took a half day to leave when the students do so I can pick up my husband from the airport (less than a week!!). The two of us are driving up to PA together. I have to get my car inspected and want to have it over the break so I can spend time with my friends, too, without having to rely on him to give me rides everywhere. It will be nice to have company on that long-ass drive at least one of the ways. 

New books: I remember the awesomeness that is the Scholastic Book Fair from when I was in elementary school, but don't remember having it in junior or high school. So it was such an amazing surprise to find out that my school hosts the fair. I bought six books--which was showing some serious restraint on my part. I also have a couple of review books to share. So without further adieu, I hope that you are all having fabulous weekends!

For Review

21822422 21873177

We Should Hang Out Sometime by Josh Sundquist
Per Gr: A bright, poignant, and deeply funny autobiographical account of coming of age as an amputee cancer survivor, from Josh Sundquist: Paralympic ski racer, YouTube star, and motivational speaker.
Writer to Writer by Gail Carson Levine
I've always dreamed of being a writer--from the time I was a little, little girl. I'm hoping to actually do something about it this summer...so many authors are former teachers. Even if it doesn't work out, I love reading writing books. I'm a weirdo like that. This one is from the author of Ella Enchanted

What I bought


Scholastic Book Fair!!!

Amber House and Neverwas by a trio of authors (a mother and her two daughters, if I'm not mistaken)
I've been drawn to these pretty covers for forever, so I definitely couldn't pass picking them up for $2.50 a piece!
Manor of Secrets by Katherine Longshore
A kind of upstairs/downstairs look at a manor in the early 1900s. Also only $2.50
Tales From My Closet by Jennifer Anne Moss
I don't know a whole lot about this one. I know it follows multiple girls and ties them together through fashion...or something. Also only $2.50
Famous Last Words by Katie Aleander
I have the arc for this, but haven't gotten to it yet. I've been meaning to read it, and couldn't resist snagging the finished copy.
Better Off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg
I have the arc to this one, as well, but I really liked it and wanted it in its finished form, too. I love a good friends-to-more story.

What I snagged from the library 

20910157 15792598  

Books:
Yes, Please by Amy Poehler
I snagged this in both book and audio form. My absolute favorite audio books are funny memoirs read by the author (I've seriously listened to Bossypants three times now), but the book is full of cool pictures so I had to get both. 
Who Done It? by Jon Scieszka
I've never even heard of this one, but with names like Libba Bray, John Green, and Gayle Foreman attached, how could I pass it up?
Movies
Neighbors with Seth Rogen and Zac Efron
I knew I would enjoy this movie, but I truly found it hilarious. My attention span is about the size of, well, my students these days, but I actually put my phone down and watched this whole film. I do plan on reviewing this one soon.  

Well that's it for me this week. Feel free to leave a link to whatever weekend post you do (Stacking the Shelves, In My Mailbox, etc). I love to see what books people have recently snagged and especially enjoy hearing about my fellow bloggers' weeks. I hope you are all having a fabulous weekend!

11 comments:

  1. Woooh! I'm interested in reading Famous Last Words and Yes Please.
    Great haul.
    Glad to hear everything is going well. I feel like those kids, even though I'm not in school. With the holidays coming up, I'm anxious for long vacation!
    Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha I don't blame them either for being exciting about Christmas break!! I can't wait for my little guy to be on break just so I can sleep iiiiiinnn. :D Love the books you got this week, I've been meaning to read Famous Last Words, too! Ack, so many books got by me this year!! Manor of Secrets, too. That one looked so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ENJOY YES PLEASE! It is so wonderful and amazing and funny and just incredible, just like Amy Poehler herself. :)
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHhh! I remember the days of trying to teach before the holidays….so challenging! Good luck with it all and your trip back up to PA. I LOVE the Scholastic book fair. SO FUN! I see you got Better Off Friends…one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited for Christmas break. I'm training to be a teacher at the moment, so my break starts this week! :-) I hope you can get through your last week or so! My haul!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVED Better Off Friends! Such a huge fan of friendship turned romance stories. Enjoy! Happy Holidays & Happy Reading!

    My Stack

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to get Famous Last Words! I hope you enjoy Better Off Friends!

    Come and check out OUaT's STS and don't forget to enter our current GIVEAWAYS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to read Yes Please! Enjoy your reads!

    My STS

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Wrinkle in Time! Love that book. I haven't read it in forever. I agree, I do wonder if technology stuff is interfering with kids reading for fun. So sad! Part of the reason I read so much (and used to write when I was young) was because I was bored…there really wasn't much else to do. Now you can spend hours on your phone. Oh well!

    Amber House and Neverwas…I really like these books, they are so good. Hope you enjoy! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember when I was a kid, the book fair was like Christmas, except better.

    I really hope you enjoy your time off. I can't believe you hit the half way point!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!