Saturday, December 7, 2013

Stacking the Shelves (34) 12.7.13

Saturday, December 7, 2013 11:53 AM with 13 comments

STSmall_thumb[2]

Stacking the Shelves is a weekly feature hosted by Tyngas Reviews. This meme allows us to share the books we've recently added to our shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks! *Clicking the link of a book's title will take you to Goodreads.


Hello, again. So, I only have one more day of student teaching. One more day! This semester absolutely flew by! I leave for NYC on Wednesday with some of my students to go see 4 Broadway shows (Peter and Starcatcher, Big Fish, Kinky Boots, and one with a foreign name I can never remember). We also get to go the MET--which I am beyond excited for--and other touristy things like that. Never in my wildest dreams did I think my student teaching would end on such an amazing note.

I can't get too far ahead of myself, though. I still have one more paper to crank out and still have to put together my Student Teaching Portfolio that I have to present to my department on Tuesday. So I do have a long weekend ahead of me (although with that rainbow at the end, plus, you know, getting my masters in a week I know better than to complain about 1 more long weekend). 

On the book and blog front, I posted a review for the book Ink is Thicker Than Water on Thursday. It is by the same author as The Reese Malcolm List (which I loved). Ink is also definitely worth reading although I do have to admit I don't have the same love for it. I snagged a couple of great books this week. I did already read one and am hoping to post a review on Monday, but school work has to come first, of course.

Hope you are all having a great weekend!

For Review

 17573559 16718816

Roomies by Sara Zarr and Tara Altebrando
I've already read this. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't as fun as I was expecting. This sounded like total fluff, and while it wasn't super serious or anything, it was deeper than I was expecting. 
Control by Lydia King
After her father dies, a teen's sister is kidnapped by people who believe her DNA holds a powerful secret. 

What I bought

17650 6482837

The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood
This may be my favorite book of all time. It's awesome and amazing and mind-blowing. I have this is in hardcover and mass market, but found it for $2 at HPB in trade pb which is my preferred format. How could I pass that up?
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
I've read this book about a girl who is relieving the day she dies over and over, but I didn't own a copy. Again, $2. 

What I snagged from the library

11721314 12962924 10866233

Meant to be by Lauren Morill
I've heard good things about this book about a girl who finds love on a class trip to London. It looks cute.
Welcome Caller, This is Chloe by Shelley Coriell
I really liked Goodbye, Rebel Blue, so I decided to check out another one from the author. About a girl who joins the school radio station. 
The List by Siobhan Vivian
I actually read this one last year with my teen group, but I really liked it and have been thinking about it lately, so I decided to give it a second look.

So that's it for me this week. I'm pretty excited about what I added to my shelves. What did you add to your shelves? Link me up!
Hey lovely GFC and new followers, please follow me by Bloglovin as we all know Google Reader has gone/is going by the wayside. (I like to follow back, so please let me know if you're a new follower--and leave a link!) Thank you!!!

13 comments:

  1. Congrats on almost having your masters! I'm actually and undergrad right now for English Education, so I start my student teaching in the fall. So excited for that!!!! As for your books, Meant to Be is SO GOOD! And Roomies looks like a great read! I hope you enjoy all you got :)

    Here's my STS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Student teaching was a wonderful experience. I'm going for English education, too. I love it.

      Delete
  2. Ah! So jealous that you get to see Peter and the Starcatchers. Hope it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The List is a pretty good book to read and discuss for a group. Meant to Be is cute, by the way! I really liked that one. I would probably read it again if I had time too. And Before I Fall. I don't have a copy of that book, so if I found a copy of it for only $2 like you did, I would definitely get it.

    Enjoy the books!
    My STS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you got a great deal on Before I Fall! Did you like the story? I want to read that one too now, because I just finished Delirium and I really like Lauren Oliver's writing style. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Control! Roomies! Woot! I reeeally want to read those ones. And Broadway shows?! I've never seen anything live like that...so I have no idea what it'd be like. But it sounds awesome.
    My StS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read Roomies and Control. Too bad you didn't enjoy Roomies as much as you were expecting, but I'm surprised that it was not pure fluff, which is what I was thinking too. Meant To Be is so cute, hope you enjoy it! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been wanting to read Before I Fall, nice haul.

    New follower, Bloglovin

    My STS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely haul! $2 for Before I Fall!? What a deal, I really enjoyed that book! I though Meant to Be overall was a pretty cute read, I'm excited for her new book! Hope you enjoy!

    Here's my Sunday Post & STS (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, I loved Meant to Be! I just finished her sophomore novel, and while it wasn't AS cute, it was definitely pretty adorable. :) I have Roomies coming up soon, but I'm sad to hear it's not as fluffy as you were expecting. :( And, girl, you are making me antsy for a HPB trip. It's been over a month since I bought a physical book and I'm ready! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to New York -- hoping you have a fantastic time :) :)
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just started reading Control, am not sure what I think right now but I am not too far into it. Roomies looks really great. Hope you have a great time in New York :) My STS.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Conrats on being so close to the finish line at school! That's amazing! Wow, you must have had a blast seeing all the broadway shows.
    Great books this week! I really loved Before I Fall, such a great book.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!