Saturday, December 21, 2013

Stacking the Shelves (35) 12.21.13

Saturday, December 21, 2013 12:52 AM with 25 comments

STSmall_thumb[2]

Stacking the Shelves is a weekly feature hosted by Tyngas Reviews. This meme allows us to share the books we've recently added to our shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks! *Clicking the link of a book's title will take you to Goodreads.

So as soon as I hit publish on this, I'm leaving for Christmas break for the next 11 days! I'm going to both Florida and Wyoming which is awesome, but will definitely be a bit tiring. In order to see all of my friends and family (that I want to see) I'm hitting four towns in 11 days and am taking 3 one-way flights. You know I'm a book nerd since I put in way more consideration on to how many and which books needed to come with me than I did how I am going to dress for 2 completely different weather conditions. (For real, it is supposed to be 80 degrees in one state and, like, 0 degree in the other.)

I am beyond relieved to be done with school. This week was full of complete awesome nothingness. I read, I watched TV and I slept, slept, slept. I did get my final grades: I have officially graduated from graduate school with a 4.0! I've applied for my certification from the state and am in a bit of a holding pattern until that comes in. I plan on applying to be a sub for the Spring semester for as many school districts as possible, but I need the certification from the state in order to apply. Hopefully it will be waiting for me when I get home. *fingers crossed*

On the book and blog front, I received a TON of books for review that I can't wait to share with you. I posted a review for the book Roomies this week and will back to my regular blogger self in January.

Thank you all for sticking with me this semester! You are all wonderful and I hope you have a spectacular holiday season! See you in January!

  

Now on to the books

For Review:

17844678 18052934 18079527 
17449197 15751652 17264131 
17586462 18087522 17165932


The Promise of Amazing by Robin Constantine
That cover! So sweet. Unfortunately this book is getting some pretty dismal reviews. I haven't read any yet, but it's hard to ignore the star ratings. This book is a love story. Obviously.
No One Else Can Have You by Kathleen Hale
I'm reading this YA murder mystery now. This is one of my all-time favorite covers. Death has never been so cute. It isn't as good as I want it to be, but I'm hoping it picks up.
The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson
A girl is thrilled to finally be settling down in the town she grew up in after years of moving around, but her father's PTSD from the war is threatening to change their lives.
Unhinged by A.G. Howard
I'm excited to dive into this sequel of Splintered, but I cannot freaking stand that cover. Did anybody imagine Morpheus as some emo dude who looks like a fourth-grade girl can kick his ass? Because that isn't how I imagine him. At all.
Afterparty by Ann Redisch Stampler
A consummate good girl starts a friendship with a wild child.
Neverwas by Kelly Moore
I don't know what this is about. I still need to read Amber House and this is the sequel. I, um, cannot resist books with girls in red dresses for whatever reason. It's a serious problem.
See Jane Run by Hannah Jayne
From what I can deduce from the synopsis a girl finds out that the parents she believes are her parents kidnapped her. I'm hoping that's not the final reveal because the blurb pretty much spells it out for you. 
Hero Worship by Christopher E. Long
People with extraordinary powers exist in this world, but most are considered to have "bad blood" and so are barred from using them. I've read the first chapter or so, and this is really interesting so far. 
Independent Study by Joelle Charbonneau
The sequel to The Testing. Which I haven't read. "Hey, Natalie," you ask, "why do you request books to sequels when you haven't read the first book." Yeah, that's a good question. Because I'm an idiot, I guess. Thanks for making me feel bad.

What I Bought

10798416 12033455

I've heard this meet-cute book is awesome and I cannot wait to read it. This is definitely coming with me on vacation.
I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
I've read this cute chick-lit book already, but needed it for my collection.

What I snagged from the library

7664334

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
I'm reading this over break. I am. 

So that's it for me this week. I'm pretty excited about what I added to my shelves. What did you add to your shelves? Link me up!
Hey lovely GFC and new followers, please follow me by Bloglovin as we all know Google Reader has gone/is going by the wayside. (I like to follow back, so please let me know if you're a new follower--and leave a link!) Thank you!!!

25 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness! What an awesome haul! And congrats on graduating with excellent grades :) You are up for a real adventure these next weeks, aren't you? First with traveling, and then starting to apply for positions as a substitute teacher in several districts. I hope you'll be able to find something pretty close to home!

    WOW those books. I am a little jealous, actually. I got denied both for Unhinged and Independent Study. But I bought Independent Study, because I really want to read it now...

    Lots of other really nice-looking books on your list as well :) Have a great weekend, and happy Holidays.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Amazing haul :-) I want to read Unhinged and The Promise of Amazing. I want to read the new Laurie Halse Anderson too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great haul! I have several of these. I did read The Promise of Amazing… and I wasn't a huge fan. I hope you like it better!

    I can't wait to read These Broken Stars… maybe next week!

    My StS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME haul this week. I LOVED I've Got Your Number. The Statistical Probability, No One Else Can Have You, The Promise of Amazing, and Unhinged are all on my TBR list. I will have to keep an eye out for your reviews. I hope you enjoy all of your new books!!

    Here is my STS: http://www.jacquesbooknook.blogspot.com/2013/12/stacking-shelves-snakeroot-by-andrea.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome haul. I tried to get into the Promise of Amazing and found that it wasn't for me. Maybe you will like it. Come visit me as well.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on graduating! And also great haul, so many great books. I still want to read The Promise of Amazing even with some of the negative reviews. With such lower expectations, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised? I really want to read Independent Study (enjoyed The Testing). Amy & Roger's Epic Detour and The Statistical Probability...both cute books, hope you enjoy! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, wow - so much traveling over the next few weeks! I'm staying pretty much in town, and I'm so excited about that. But have a great time seeing family and friends.

    I didn't realize that The Promise of Amazing was getting dismal reviews. I had planned on reading it next, but maybe I won't waste my time. Also, Statistical is SOOO CUTE!

    Happy Holidays and Happy Reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some awesome books! The Promise of Amazing is pretty cute and I also liked The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. See Jane Run and Afterparty both sound great, too. I loved Splintered, so I'm hoping Unhinged will just as good. Great haul :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very great haul!! I hope you have a Merry Christmas! Yay to being done with school! I hope you enjoy the books :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to read the Splintered books! Need. more. time. I'm loving that Unhinged cover though. I'd also like to read The Testing...and No One Else Can Have You....and...yeah. Basically them all. Have a good holiday! :)
    My StS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at all the pretty books! I hope you have a chance to read a ton of your vaca!
    My STS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on graduating! That's so awesome. I'm an undergrad and lord, it can't be over fast enough ahaha. So many of those are on my TBR list- like Unhinged and No One Else Can Have You. I'm jealous! Enjoy them, and enjoy the time off- you earned it for sure! My STS

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm excited to read your thoughts on the Promise of Amazing. It was meh for me. xD Hope you'll love it though.

    Thanks for sharing and have a safe weekend.

    Charlotte @ Thoughts and Pens

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too got Neverwas and I borrowed Amberhouse from my library. The book is set in Maryland and thats where I live so I love reading books that are set here. Sadly I couldn't really get into Amberhouse so I am going to have to pass on Neverwas. I hope you like it! And all of those yummy review books. nom nom nom

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice haul. See Jane Run sounds like a great thriller and I've put it on to my wish list as it gets released on New Year's Day on Kindle in the UK.

    Please check out my latest haul at http://thewanderingbookworm.wordpress.com/2013/12/22/book-haul-22nd-december-2013-a-k-a-hes-finally-let-the-moths-out-of-the-wallet/

    Enjoy your reads.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really ( like really really) need AFTERPARTY and NO ONE ELSE CAN HAVE YOU....also THE PROMISE OF AMAZING for that matter. Lovely haul!
    Happy reading
    Jackie
    http://nobentspines.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck with the weather changes, I'm staying in one place this year, and it's officially freezing, boo. Ahh, congrats! With Unhinged...nope I didn't, but I have to admit, I still love the cover, it's on my shelf this week and keeps staring at me, so can't wait to get to it after rereading Splintered. :D Happy reading, and Happy Holidays! :)

    Here's mine

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love doing nothing! Glad you had an awesome week! Fantastic haul, I love I've Got Your Number! Amy & Roger is a pretty fun road trip book, hope you enjoy!

    Here's my Sunday Post & STS
    PS. Bookmunchies' is having a giveaway too (:

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those look awesome, Hope you enjoy these & Happy Holidays!

    Check out my STS this week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great haul! Hero Worship sounds really amazing so I may have to buy myself a copy of that one when it comes out. Plus, the cover is pretty wicked. I haven't read anything by Laurie Halse Anderson, though I've heard nothing but great things about her books. I hope you enjoy everything!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really great haul here, Nat! I am really looking forward to No One Else Can Have You. I am still crossing my fingers that I might like it even if most of my blogger friends have not. Trying hard to keep that open mind. You will have to let me know how Afterparty is!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, you are going to adore Amy & Roger and The Statistical Probability. :) Congrats on finishing school and getting some much-needed time off! And yay for all the review books. That's a terrific haul. I've been wanting to get to No One Else but I've seen some middling reviews that have me worried it's trying too hard to be quirky. I'm all for quirky but there can be too much, I suppose. Anyway, hope you had a nice holiday and Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!