Friday, February 24, 2017

Weekly Rewind 2.25.17

Friday, February 24, 2017 11:59 PM with 12 comments

Image result for natflixandbooks
Weekly Rewind
The new books on my shelves and my week in a nutshell.

Throughout my student teaching semester I was using my weekend post as a way to let people know what's going on in my life, so I've decided to rename my weekend post because this feature is more personal than just what books I've received. The Weekly Rewind will be about what's going on with me and my blog, as well as about the books I've added to my shelves. This post is linked to Stacking the Shelves over at Tynga's Reviews and the Sunday Post over at Caffeinated Book Reviewer.



My Life and Blog

Life: Beside the year I spent in FL, I don't think I have ever experienced a warmer February. It hit almost 80 degrees here today. If we aren't going to get any snow days this year (and it doesn't look like we will), then I will 100% take these sunny, warm days. It's amazing what some sunshine and warmth does to my mood. Nothing really to report (obviously, as I just talked about the weather). My husband is coming down this weekend, but not until tomorrow. I love the weekends I don't have to do that four hour drive. I took a nap this afternoon and am spending the evening in with some mindless tv and maybe some reading. 

Blog and reading: WoW this week. I was ecstatic to snag Ramona Blue which was one of my most anticipated of 2017. I started reading it immediately and am enjoying it so far. I've mainly been focusing on The Roanoke Girls, though, because I'm buddy reading it. It is seriously disturbing.

New Books: I small handful of new lovelies to share. So without further ado, I hope you're all having fabulous weekends! 

For Review

31449227 30689335 30095464 29946121

Ramona Blue by Julie Murphy
Like I said above, I've been dying to get my hands on this one, and was so excited when I snagged it. I really like Julie Murphy's writing, and am bummed that people are vilifying the book based only on the synopsis. I'm enjoying it so far. 
The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel
I just kind of glanced at the synopsis of this one before downloading it. Dark family secrets. Blah, blah. When I saw that my friend Christina was about to start it, I asked if she wanted to buddy read. Neither of us were prepared for how fucked up this book is. It's compulsively readable, but I don't like any of the characters. 
Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco
I've been excited to start this book. I love anything to do with witches, and necromancy is so intriguing, but some pretty middling reviews has me nervous. I do hope to dive into this one next, anyway. 
Girl in Disguise by Greer MacAllister
This is inspired by a true story, and follows the first female detective during the Civil War, which sound awesome. 

What I snagged from the library

33956433 Image result for miss peregrine's home for peculiars movie poster

City of Saints and Thieves by Natalie C. Anderson
Giving a shout-out to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl is definitely a way to grab my attention. 
Movie:
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
I haven't read this book (I know), but I'm excited to watch this. 

Well that's it for me this week. Feel free to leave a link to whatever weekend post you do (Stacking the Shelves, The Sunday Post, etc). I love to see what books people have recently snagged and especially enjoy hearing about my fellow bloggers' weeks. I hope you are all having a fabulous weekend!

12 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you suggested that we buddy read Roanoke, because wow...that's a book that is definitely worth discussing. It's so messed up!!! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. I hope you have a great weekend and how about this weather?! I'm loving it, but it appears that it isn't going to stay. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got some amazing books this week. I hope you love all of your new goodies. They look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking at some of these, but I haven't read any of them. Except Miss Peregrine's Home -- I don't know if I want to watch the movie! Hope you enjoy all of them, though.

    My STS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ISN'T IT RIDICULOUSLY WARM? I live in Maryland it was 70+ degrees yesterday! I think it was almost record-breaking weather here... I'm not complaining but like o_o Usually it's like 30s, at this time of year. Whatever!

    I will be looking for your review of The Bone Witch! I know a lot of bloggers have been excited about that one. I hope you enjoy all of your new books!

    Have a lovely weekend, Natalie. :)

    Check out my STS post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been such a mild February! We got close to 70 one day which is pretty good for here!

    Bone Witch looks good and so does Girl in Disguise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so happy to see 70 degree weather on Friday. Of course on Saturday it was cold and it snowed a little.

    I want to read Girl in Disguise. That does sound really interesting. I've also heard really good things about City of Saints and Thieves.

    I ordered a copy of Roanoke Girls for the library but now I am curious about it. Ramona Blue is one I'm not familiar with.

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, crazy weather indeed. Enjoy it while it lasts. I was sorely tempted to accept The Roanoke Girls. I will probably kick myself later for taking a pass. Have an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yeah. i'm wary of this warm weather, to be honest. It's unheard of that we barely got snow this year. It's been a temperate winter but as much as i'd like to rejoice, i'm worried about the significance.

    have a lovely week, regardless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to get my hands on the city of saints and thieves. I also haven't seen the Julie Murphy book but the cover has definitely caught my eye. I hope you have a wonderful week!

    Tina @ As Told By Tina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, the Julie Murphy book hasn't been on my radar until you mentioned it here, but now I really want to check it out. It sounds really great (of course, I didn't see the synopsis before it was changed but it is awful that so many are ranting over it before reading).

    Here in CA we're not quite at warm weather yet. SO much rain lol. But this is suppose to be a nice sunny week so I'm looking forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to hear what you think of Bone Witch. I've been intrigued but also worried a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm nervous to read The Bone Witch as well. I also got Girl in Disguise and am loving the cover. I hope to read The Roanoke Girls but have to be honest, I'm not sure what it's about. Hope you enjoyed your time with your husband and have a great week. We got to enjoy the great temps too but now it chilly and rainy. Oh well, at least it isn't snow!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!