Thursday, September 10, 2015

Why, Publishers, Why?! (Episode 10)

Thursday, September 10, 2015 1:41 PM with 3 comments
crying animated GIF 

My biggest pet peeve is when beautiful HBs turn into lackluster PBs. I completely understand that publishers may choose to change the cover due to various reasons, low sales especially, but the thing for me is: I don't buy new hardcover books. Ever. I can't afford them and I just simply prefer soft covers. Trade PB has always been my preferred format. So when I'm salivating over a HB cover only to have it change before it comes out in PB, it makes me CRAZY. Publishers would probably make MORE money on PB sales if they kept the amazing HB covers!

That's why I call this post:

Why, Publishers, Why?!
 
Today's Pick:
Belzhar by Meg Woltzer
 
20821376 25310585 
 
I absolutely adore the black-and-white cover the HB is rocking. I love the symmetry. I love that there is a copy of the book The Bell Jar that this book is a nod to. I love the Joy Division t-shirt next to the headphones. I love that it is black and white. Basically, I love everything about this cover and have been waiting for the PB to come out to call it my own. So imagine my disappointment when I saw this new PB cover. While I do like the font, nothing else about this cover is an any way an improvement. It's a girl lying on the floor with her reflection. Yawn. This cover change just makes me sad. It reminds me of the poster for that Christina Ricci film Prozac Nation...which isn't a good thing.
 
Which one do you prefer? The HB or the PB? Neither? Sound off below!


3 comments:

  1. Ugh. This is just sad. I love the HB cover! It fits the feel and story of Belzhar very well. The PB cover isn't a good fit for the book. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all for the Hardback edition. In fact, I read this book BECAUSE of that cover. I understand what they were going for on the paperback, but it still just came off as cheesy. -.-

    ReplyDelete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!