Friday, August 29, 2014

Weekly Rewind 8.29.14

Friday, August 29, 2014 7:19 PM with 12 comments






Weekly Rewind
The new books on my shelves and my week in a nutshell.




Since I started this blog I've participated in Stacking the Shelves, which is a weekly feature hosted by Tyngas Reviews, and I'm going to continue linking to that meme. Throughout my student teaching semester I was using my weekend post as a way to let people know what's going on in my life, so I've decided to rename my weekend post because this feature is more personal than just what books I've received. The Weekly Rewind will be about what's going on with me and my blog, as well as about the books I've added to my shelves.

My life and blog
Life: Is it horrible that I'm already dying for a three-day weekend? Lol. This week was a bit better, but I've had to start doing a couple of parent phone calls about kids that are already failing my class from not turning assignments in, or due to behavior. The first couple weren't too bad, thankfully, but it is still freaking nerve-wracking! This week actually went pretty quickly, which is awesome. In two weeks I'll be home with my love for a friend's wedding. I cannot wait to be home with my husband and kitty cats. I miss them all so much.
So, yeah, I'm very much looking forward to three days off. I plan on doing some reading, and planning out the next week at least. I'd like to get further ahead, but I already have classes ending at different points, so I know I can't plan too far ahead because there is no way all my classes will stay on any road map I plot out...but I can at least try to stay a week ahead, and this holiday weekend will help me with the planning.
Blog: I actually got a couple of posts up this week. Yay! I'm not reading nearly as much as I would like to be, but I hope that once I get in the groove, I'll be able to read more. I'm just so tired every single night when I get home that I can barely move. I'm without cable at the moment, so I bought one of those Rokus, or whatever, to stream Netflix and Hulu. It's not bad, but I'm definitely missing cable now that football is starting up, and something will definitely have to happen when hockey starts in a month. I can't live without my Avs. Plus, there is nothing better than the hockey package for the perfect background noise when I am trying to read or do work--as long as it's not the Avs. If they are playing, nothing else is getting done. This past week I've been watching Criminal Minds almost non-stop even though it makes me roll my eyes at least twice an episode. Each episode is pretty much the same: 1. start with murder (usually) 2. bring in the team 3. they figure out who it is at the last minute and 4. burst in to save the next victim in the nick of time. Kind of lame, but strangely addictive. I just love that Mandy Patinkin. He's the best.
Anyway, this week on the blog:

New books: Like I said last week, September is out-of-control. There is no way I'll ever get to all my arcs; not to mention the books I don't have early copies of that are coming out this month. I'm looking at you Ashes to Ashes. Anyhoo, I hope you all have fabulous holiday weekends!! I'm going to apologize now that only the first couple of books are linked. This computer is not at all cooperating, and I frankly don't feel like sitting in front of it for the next 2 hours...

For Review
19367070 18285437 19507564 20306810 
18050728 20702035 18248422 18163646
Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White
I'm not sure exactly what this is about. I know it's historical fantasy, and that cover is beyond stunning.
Rites of Passage by Joy Hensley
I wasn't going to snag this, but a couple of trusted GRers gave it pretty positive star-ratings, so I decided to give this book about a girl who joins the first class of girls in a prestigious military academy.
Of Monsters and Madness by Jessica Verday
About Edgar Allen Poe and Annabelle Lee!
Kiss of Broken Glass by Madeline Kuderick
From what I can understand, this is a book in verse about a girl who is a "cutter."
Blood of My Blood by Barry Lyga
I have the first two books, as well, and cannot wait to dive into this series about a son of a serial killer. I'm loving this cover, too.
Paper Airplanes by Dawn O'Porter
I've heard nothing but good things about this Aussie book that follows two 15 year-olds and their somewhat troubled friendship/lives. I'm excited.
People I Want to Punch in the Throat by Jen Mann
For that title alone.
Falling into Place by Amy Zhang
This book about a girl who commits suicide, or maybe just tries--I'm not exactly sure, looks pretty sad, but I've heard some good things. Definitely a "in the mood for" type, I think.

What I snagged from the library
185945389827751 3
Fool Me Twice by Mandy Hubbard
This looks super fluffy...Maybe a little two fluffy, but I'm going to give a shot.
I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak
On audio. I'm not sure if this is going to happen because I also snagged...

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
I periodically listen to this series, and once I listen to the first one, I have a hard time not listening to the rest. It truly is the best audio book series of all time. This is my third go at the audio...actually maybe my fourth...and I just love everything about listening to this series. The narrator is perfect, PERFECT, and it is just such a relaxing and enjoyable way to deal with this way-too-long commute.
 Well that's it for me this week. Feel free to leave a link to whatever weekend post you do (Stacking the Shelves, In My Mailbox, etc). I love to see what books people have recently snagged and especially enjoy hearing about my fellow bloggers' weeks. I hope you are all having a fabulous weekend!



12 comments:

  1. I read Fool Me Twice a few weeks ago, it's super cheesy but if you're in the mood for it it's fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great haul. I love Harry Potter. Have a great weekend.
    Diane @ Diane's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and gave it five stars. I'm on the list to get the movie from the library. I really haven't heard much about his other books, but I would love to read your opinion if you get around to I am the Messenger. Fool me Twice looks really cute!! I hope you enjoy all of you new books!!

    Here is my STS: http://www.jacquesbooknook.blogspot.com/2014/08/stacking-shelves-isla-and-happily-ever.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are mega busy!!! My blog isn't as active as I was hoping.. I just gone back to work after a 3 week stint of annual leave and im almost nearly back into a routine of the 12 hour shifts!!!

    Anna's STS
    New follower via bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also got I Am The Messenger this week. Really looking forward to it! I hope you enjoy your new reads whenever you get to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you get to visit home soon! I can't imagine being away from loved ones like that for so long, and in a stressful job too.

    You're making me want to listen to the Harry Potter books, too. I think I listened to the first couple way back then. Enjoy!

    My STS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you have a great weekend! I'm really looking forward to Rites of Passage and Illusions of Fate. Have fun reading! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad that things are going at least a little more smoothly. I have People I Want to Punch in the Throat too, it sounds great haha. I'm really looking forward to Rite of Passage as well. Enjoy your books, and your break!

    My STS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great haul this week--I'm looking forward to reading Illusions of Fate and I'm hoping to track down a copy of Of Monsters and Madness soon, I've heard it's really good! And I agree--September is definitely a crazy book month. I was putting together the release list and my eyes were just popping out of my head at the sheer amount of books coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Illusions of fate was a very enjoyable story :D I liked the humorous tone, like I'm used from Kiersten. Rites of passage has been getting lots of good reviews. I'm curious about that one. Happy reading :D

    Mel@thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny that you mention Mandy Pitinkin. I've never seen Criminal Minds, but I just watched The Princess Bride last night. He's awesome in that and I loved the interviews with him in the Special Features. Great actor, seems like a great all-around guy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, Mandy Patinkin would be the ONLY reason I'd watch Criminal Minds. Love him to pieces. I love that hockey is your basis for absolutely needing cable. :) I'm a hockey girl, too. I don't watch it religiously or anything because my hometown team hasn't been really great in years, but there is nothing like going to a game.

    I haven't read any of your books this week, except for your library finds. I've never listened to HP on audio, though...I'll have to check out that narrator since you hold the audiobook in such high regard.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!