Friday, June 26, 2015

Weekly Rewind 6.27.15

Friday, June 26, 2015 10:51 PM with 12 comments
Image result for natflixandbooks



Weekly Rewind
The new books on my shelves and my week in a nutshell.




Since I started this blog I've participated in Stacking the Shelves, which is a weekly feature hosted by Tynga's Reviews, and I'm going to continue linking to that meme. Throughout my student teaching semester I was using my weekend post as a way to let people know what's going on in my life, so I've decided to rename my weekend post because this feature is more personal than just what books I've received. The Weekly Rewind will be about what's going on with me and my blog, as well as about the books I've added to my shelves.


My Life and Blog

Life: While my plan was to put more time in on the blog over the summer, that hasn't really happened yet. While I am reading, the only book I finished this week was a reread of To All the Boys I've Loved Before--a book I've already reviewed on this blog. Lol. I still have 6 weeks at home (at least), so hopefully I'll get some posts out in the next month or so. 

The job search is still not going as hoped. I did have an interview this week, but didn't hear back from them regarding the second round...which means I didn't make the cut. I'm not giving up hope as I still have resumes/applications out to schools whose deadlines were very recent--or haven't even passed yet, but it is looking more and more likely that I will be heading back to FL for another year. During the coming school year, if I am in FL, I plan to study up on passing a couple of PRAXIS tests to add a certification or two. Anything I can do to make myself more attractive to the powers that be. *Sigh* Keep those fingers crossed for me! Hopefully something in PA will pan out very soon.

Being home is awesome. There are days, like yesterday, where I've just laid around watching movies and reading, but I've also been seeing my friends and doing fun things. My husband and I are catching a baseball game tonight with my old cooperating teacher and his wife. Tomorrow I'm going out to lunch with one of my best friends. Hubs and I are looking at taking a tropical vacation at the end of July to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary. Things are good...and I'm sure the job thing will work itself out. 

New Books: I have a pile to show you. So without further adieu, I hope you are all having fabulous weekends!

For Review

18244970 16045315 23492661 23398992 23361172 23361053 18484795 23492651

From the moment I saw this cover, I've been wanting to read this book. I'm a little worried by some early reviews, but am keeping an open mind. 
Jesse's Girl by Miranda Kenneally
I have yet to read a book by this author (even though this is the second-or third-book I've gotten for review...oops). This one looks really cute. About a girl and a country music star.
Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid
This chick-lit novel sounds very Sliding Doors-ish, but I loved Sliding Doors, so. 
The Woman Who Stole My Life  by Marian Keyes
New Marian Keyes!
Paperweight by Meg Haston
A girl trapped in a rehab facility for eating disorders is planning her suicide for the anniversary of her brother's death...sounds pretty heavy, but I love that cover. 
Don't Ever Change by M. Beth Bloom
A girl who wants to be a writer realizes she hasn't lived the type of life a good writer should.
A Million Miles Away by Lara Avery
After her twin sister dies, a girl pretends to be her when she finds she can't tell her dead sister's deployed boyfriend. Sounds like a hot mess, but it's getting some positive reviews.
The Hand that Feeds You by A.J. Rich
After her dogs maul her boyfriend to death, a woman finds out he isn't exactly who she thought he was. This sounds intriguing.

What I snagged from the library

20698530 22544764 15792316 23834688 
 13642237 
Books:
P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han
I'm so excited to finally read this. I started it a couple of weeks ago before realizing I definitely needed to reread the first book first. My book memory is so bad!
Uprooted by Naomi Novik
I've heard nothing but love, love, love for this one.
Split Second by Kasie West
Why haven't I read this yet? I don't know. I have no explanation. I seriously even reread the first book right before this came out over a year ago to prepare...
Sick in the Head by Judd Apatow
For years writer/director/producer Judd Apatow has been conducting interviews with the comedians he surrounds himself with and now they are all compiled in this book.
Books on CD:
The Diviners by Libba Bray
I have to reread this before diving into Lair of Dreams, but I don't actually want to reread it. Audio to the rescue. 
Movies:
Kingsmen starring Colin Firth and Samuel L. Jackson
I watch this yesterday. It was pretty good...violent. 
Lucy starring Scarlett Johansson 
Finally! I've been dying to watch this movie. 

Well that's it for me this week. Feel free to leave a link to whatever weekend post you do (Stacking the Shelves, In My Mailbox, etc). I love to see what books people have recently snagged and especially enjoy hearing about my fellow bloggers' weeks. I hope you are all having a fabulous weekend!


12 comments:

  1. Good luck on the job search. It's not easy. I got my job at the very first day of inservice in August.....right before school started...someone quit/retired at the last minute! So you never know! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. A Million Miles Away is on my TBR list and so is Jesse's Girl....looking forward to both! Enjoy your weekend and a tropical vacation in July sounds pretty darn great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on the job search, I really hope something works out for you soon. I hope you have a wonderful 10 year anniversary!!! Paperweight is a book I am really excite to read, it looks so good. Great haul this week. I hope you enjoy all of your books :) Here's my STS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also got Jesse's Girl for review. Happy reading and best of luck for the job search!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on the job search. It's not easy at all to find one these days. Awesome stack of books this week.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read "Uprooted" and I loved it so much! It's totally worth the read. I hope you have good luck in PA. I think I said this last week but my one friend has been looking for 5 years in PA and finally got her first full time position...in Hawaii. She's super excited. Happy reading!

    Tsuki’s STS

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice bunch of books you've got here! I actually found The Diviners to be surprisingly slow for a fantasy, historical fiction book and put it down after a while therefore resulting in a DNF. I also can't believe that there is a sequel :O

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great haul this week! Suicide Notes From Beautiful Girls is one that I really want to check out so I will definitely be looking forward to your thoughts on that one. I'm currently reading Jesse's Girl and it's pretty good so far! Have an awesome week. :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  8. THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU is a new one to me, but wow, it does sound fascinating. I'm definitely going to look for it at my library.

    Good luck with the job hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your job search, Natalie. I can't believe how tough it is to find a position in your area. I feel ya, girl. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. anyway, lazy days are great! That's what I have planned for next week. :)

    happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, no! I certainly thought you would have a much better chance this year. I seriously just cannot get over how hard it is for teachers looking for a job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm excited to read Suicide Notes for Beautiful Girls - I haven't seen many reviews around so I'm not sure how readers have been receiving it. I'm hoping for a good read!

    P.S. I Still Love You is a cute read - but I liked the first book better!

    Happy Anniversary! Hope you have a fun vacation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with the job search, hope it works out but it sounds like you have a plan.

    The Hand that Feeds You…I'm intrigued, but it also sounds disturbing.

    To all the Boys…I reread it too before reading P.S. I Still Love You. Loved rereading, such a fun and cute book!

    The Diviners…it's been so long since I read it, but for some reason I remembered enough of it that I didn't reread before reading Lair of Dreams and it didn't seem to matter, but the author does not do a good job of reminding the reader (why???)

    Hope you enjoy all of your books! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!