Monday, August 26, 2013

How My Life is About to Change

Monday, August 26, 2013 8:26 AM with 28 comments

As most of you know, I'm starting my semester of student teaching today. Well, today is actually my student teaching orientation and tomorrow is my first day in the classroom. I'm excited and scared and, frankly, kind of ready for my graduate school program to be over with so I can call myself a real teacher and join the thousands of out-of-work teachers looking for a job. So I'm on the last leg of my master's degree journey and I know that it is going to be a stressful, extremely busy time in my life as I've decided to try to hold on to my current job on a part-time basis so I can, you know, eat.

Because I know there is a good chance I'm not going to have any time to myself, I know this blog is will probably suffer during this semester. I've spent the last week pre-writing some of the memes I participate in and writing some reviews, but I know there is no way I'll be able to keep up with this blog in the way I have in the past four months since I started it.

I just want to say I love all of my new blogger friends and being a part of this community. I appreciate every person who stops by and reads my little corner of the blog-sphere and the conversations we have in our comments and on Twitter. I'm going to try to keep up with it all as much as I can, but I have to be realistic about the amount of free time I'm going to have between teaching full time, helping with the school play (which is so bad-ass--my corroborating teacher runs the drama program and I get to help teach an acting class!), holding down two part-time jobs (I'll never relinquish my spot at the library), and my own class course load (I have to take some sort of student teaching seminar and also a special education case study class). Just thinking about it all makes me exhausted. But it is only for four months and after that I'll probably be unemployed so I'll have plenty of time to devote. God, I hope that's not true...

Anyway, thank you for all your support. Again, I love my place in this community and will do my best to keep in touch.

Wish me luck!!!

28 comments:

  1. Good luck, Natalie! I hope you have a great student teaching experience! That's awesome that you get to help with the acting class! That will be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becky! I'm definitely excited about acting and the play.

      Delete
  2. You do whatever you have to do, because let's face it, real life should always come first. You know that we'll all be here anxiously awaiting the next post. Good luck and have fun, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck! My mom taught school for 40 years, so I have great respect for all the energy and time that goes into the profession. I'm sure you'll do awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie- I wish you the Best of Luck and hope you enjoy the student teaching! I love your posts, and will keep looking forward to reading them - no worries post when you can post. Life outside the blog comes first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly have a lot going on. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck student teaching! Definitely important to put life things above blog things. Do the blog as you have time. Nothing wrong with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christina! I'm trying to keep it all in perspective.

      Delete
  7. Best wishes for an awesome experience, Natalie! Four months will fly by ridiculously fast. Do what you gotta do and know that this community isn't going anywhere! And best of luck finding a teaching position once you graduate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! This whole year has been flying. I'm sure the next four months will go by in a blink.

      Delete
  8. Good luck with the semester! Don't worry about the blog in the slightest, just make sure you surface above the paperwork once in a while and say hello!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I'll definitely pop up whenever I can.

      Delete
  9. Good luck! I'm sure you will do great and focusing on school and work is definitely the right idea. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie! I'm really excited and think some of my classes will be really fun.

      Delete
  10. Good luck! It's a wonderful profession, and I hope you find that you really love it!

    Lisa @ Bookshelf Fantasies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! After spending a small fortune on grad school I'd better love it! :)

      Delete
  11. YAY! I hope yesterday and today went well! How are you liking it, thus far? That's probably a stupid question. I'm sure right now everything is peaches and cream. Later on in the semester will be the true test! I bet you're so excited to finally be almost done. I can just remember how excited I was in January knowing that this part of my journey was almost over. It's going to fly by, trust me! Eating is important, make sure you do that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris. Everything's been alright so far. It's hard to get up so early and memorizing 100 + student names has been brutal, but other than that I love it so far. I couldn't even contemplate going back to school until I'd had my BA for a few years. I was so burnt out after college. Eating well is going to be the issue. I don't want to start eating fast food all the time because I don't have time to cook. Luckily I think the hubs is going to be pretty supportive for the duration of this semester.

      Delete
  12. Whoa, it does sound like you will be very busy, but it also sounds exciting! Good luck with teaching and don't worry about blogging, just do it whenever you have time! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I can still find some time. The memes will be pretty easy, but I don't want to have a blog that is only memes. Thanks, Pam!

      Delete
  13. Best of luck hon! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not going to lie, I thought this was going to be a pregnancy post, lol. :) Anyway, congrats on the new gig...hope it's all smooth sailing. :) My lil one just started kindergarten, and it's been a big transition for all of us, as well, but I can't imagine managing that many kids all day. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! Yeah, I can see where one would think that. Luckily I'm teaching seniors, so it isn't nearly as exhausting as the little ones would be. There's no way I could ever teach elementary-aged kids.

      Delete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!