Tuesday, August 13, 2013



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme/original feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Click the link to go to their site to see the original list for today plus links to a whole slew of other blogs. After you read mine, of course.





Today's Topic is: top ten books that take place in a setting of your choice.

So I start student teaching in 2 weeks. Gah! So I've got school on the brain. That is why I've chosen to do: Top ten books that take place in a school.

I know this is probably going to be an extremely popular choice, but 5 of my ALL-time favorites fit into this category. 

The FAVS

 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks 
 Election Prep

Books I really enjoyed

 The List Winger The Year of the Gadfly
Mind Games (Mind Games, #1)  Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1) 

Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
Obviously. Is there any school cooler than Hogwarts?
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
So much love for this book that takes place in a Parisian boarding school. 
Why, yes, I am aware that this book makes, like, every list I make. It's because Frankie is the coolest girl ever.
Election by Tom Perrotta
This may just be my favorite book of all time. It's about a high school election for student body president and it is amazing. Seriously, if you haven't read this book you need to remedy that immediately. 
Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld
I absolutely love--love--this book that follows a girl through her four years at an east coast boarding school. It's amazing and I cannot recommend it enough.
The List by Siobhan Vivian
I really enjoyed this book that follows 8 girls (2 from each grade in a high school who made the annual hottest and ugliest list) in the week leading up to Homecoming.
Winger by Andrew Smith
This book about a 14 year-old junior at a Washington prep school is hilarious and touching. 
The Year of the Gadfly  by Jennifer Miller
This book is kind of hard to sum up in a sentence or two. It's about a girl who is new to a New England prep school who starts investigating the school's secret society. The time alternates between this story line and that of one of her teachers when he attended the same high school in which he now teaches. 
Mind Games by Kiersten White
Sisters Annie and Fia, who both have special abilities, are invited to attend a special school that immediately turns sinister. You either love or hate this one. I loved it.
Pivot Point  by Kasie West
This awesome parallel worlds book takes place in not one, but two, high schools. 

So which location did you chose? I'd love to check out your lists, so link me up!

Hey lovely GFC and new followers, please follow me by Bloglovin as we all know Google Reader has gone/is going by the wayside. (I like to follow back, so please let me know if you're a new follower--and leave a link!) Thank you!!!

30 comments:

  1. Two high schools for Pivot Point? Now I'm curious. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great setting. Any setting that makes Harry Potter on the list is good with me! And I do love Anna. I haven't read some of the other ones but they look great. I have to get my hands on Pivot Point. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about Harry Potter....definitely one of my favorite school settings as well as Anna and the French Kiss. Great list and good luck with student teaching...I know how time consuming and challenging it can be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Chris! I'm pretty nervous. I'm trying to hold on to my job part-time so I can, you know, eat, but I'm afraid it's going to get to be too much. It's only 4 months of my life. I can do it.

      Delete
  4. Mhm, I didn't even think there were so many books set in school that I didn't even know about! Winger, for example, I've stumbled upon twice already today and it seems to be a really popular choice...mhm, I guess I should pick it up...Great list, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choice of lists. Pivot Point is one of my favorite books.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm surprised I haven't read many of these books. Anna and the French Kiss was great though =) I've been looking into reading Pivot Point actually after I read the Distance Between Us. It looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! I loved Anna and the French Kiss, Pivot Point, Mind Games, and Prep. I need to read some of the others! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been curious about Mind Games. It seems people either hate it or love it. Prep sounds interesting too. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes for Anna, HP and Pivot Point. All completely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ashley and I almost did this setting and I can't believe Harry Potter didn't cross my mind. I can never remember to think past the last couple of years when making these lists! But yeah, love Pivot Point and Anna. Gotta still read the others!

    Thanks for stopping by!
    Nicole @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did boarding schools this week too, I will have to look up some of these, I love a good boarding scgool story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good topic! I considered doing boarding schools, but I couldn't come up with enough books. Good luck with student teaching, that is so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't make a list today but when I saw this is coming up, I've thought about doing a top ten books set in Australia. Time got away from me (grrrrr) so I wasn't able to make one.

    Anyway, I think I'd like to check out Winger and The Year of the Gadfly. Thanks for the heads up...and great list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I chose to do a school setting as well :D (http://thereadingpileblog.wordpress.com/2013/08/13/top-ten-tuesday-5/) <- sorry for the long link, I appear to have forgotten how to do the html for it xD

    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love Harry Potter and Anna and the French Kiss! The rest are books I haven't read, but I definitely want to check out most of them. Great list!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  16. Best of luck with the student teaching, hope it goes well! Great list, you've got a couple of my favorites on there - Prep and Harry Potter :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. If I'd done this topic, Prep would definitely have gone on my list, despite it being quite dark.

    Hope it all goes well with the student teaching.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah!

      Prep is a bit dark, but I love it so much and have read it a billion times. Her writing is just so flawless.

      Delete
  18. ANNA!!! I just adore that book. I liked Lola even better, though. Cricket! *sigh* I've only read a couple of these, but many are already on my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved Anna and the French Kiss and Pivot Point! Great list :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Anna! (Most everyone does!) Besides that and HP, I haven't read any of the others. But Mind Games and Pivot Point are really high on my TBR, so I'm glad you liked and included them!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    Jessica@Lovin' Los Libros

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, Anna and Frankie Landau Banks were GREAT school settings. I like your choices!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great choice. I love me some Harry Potter!

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Judging by how many people picked this topic, I'd say we all love a good school/boarding school setting. I've only read two of your picks, though: HP and MIND GAMES. I think my favorite boarding school books/series are The Gallagher Girls by Ally Carter and Shades of London by Maureen Johnson.

    Happy TTT (a day late)!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Frankie <3 <3

    And I still need to read Prep, The List, and Winger!

    ReplyDelete
  25. We had the same idea, only I ended up narrowing mine down to boarding schools - and I had Anna THEN Harry! Winger made my list, too.

    Good luck with student teaching; I did mine with second graders and had a wonderful time, although I ultimately decided not to actually go into teaching (I should have stuck with library sciences).

    Erin @ YA Book Crush

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm pretty sure Prep is the first book I think of when I think boarding schools. It HAUNTS me. As long as I live, I will never forget that fish or cheese thing. X_X

    ReplyDelete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!