Saturday, August 17, 2013

Stacking the Shevles (19)

Saturday, August 17, 2013 11:15 AM with 26 comments

STSmall_thumb[2]

Stacking the Shelves is a weekly feature hosted by Tyngas Reviews. This meme allows us to share the books we've recently added to our shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks! *Clicking the link of a book's title will take you to Goodreads.



So this was my last full week at work. As many of you know, I start student teaching in a little over a week, and while I've decided to keep my office job on a part-time basis, I'm so excited that this will be the last week of my career (hopefully) where I will have to sit in front of a computer day in and day out (although it's been good for my blog).

Book-wise, I have some pretty great titles to share with you all this week.

E-Book ARCs

13522285 The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3) 16059410 17197791 
 17305095 13129136 17333985

The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider
About a golden boy adjusting to life after a horrible accident that he believes has ruined his life. Based on star ratings, a lot of my GR/blogger friends seem to have liked this, but I haven't read any reviews yet. 
The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson
I've told myself a billion times to stop requesting titles that are the second or third book in a series where I haven't read the first book, but I just continue to do it. I have started The Girl of Fire and Thorns. I'm not loving it, but I've heard the second book is much better.
Taste Test by Kelly Fiore
I absolutely love the show MasterChef and think this book about a teen cooking competition looks adorable. 
Overpowered  by Mark H. Kruger
I'm honestly not exactly sure what this one is about...teens develop super-powers I believe.
To Be Perfectly Honest by Sonya Sones
A story of a teen pathological liar told in verse.
The Year of Shadows  by Claire Legrand
I don't read a lot of MG, but this book about a girl who lives with her father and cat in a run-down concert hall who meets ghosts who need her help sounds adorable. And I love that cover.
Thrice Told Tales by Catherine Lewis
I so intrigued by the concept of this book: Writing advice using the nursery rhyme Three Blind Mice.

What I snagged from the library

16059406 16034223 16101072 

Bubble World by Carol Snow
I've enjoyed Carol Snow's adult novels and I love this cover. I'm not exactly sure what it's about, but it sounds like a teen girl finds out her perfect life isn't really perfect in a Truman Show sort of way. 
The Academy: Game On by Monica Seles
The first book in a series that follows a group of teens at an exclusive sports academy.
Earthbound by Aprilynn Pike
I got roughly 30% into the e-arc I have of this book, but was having trouble following. I'm hoping the finished version will be a bit clearer. 

So that's it for me this week. I'm pretty excited about what I added to my shelves this week. What did you add to your shelves? Link me up!

Hey lovely GFC and new followers, please follow me by Bloglovin as we all know Google Reader has gone/is going by the wayside. (I like to follow back, so please let me know if you're a new follower--and leave a link!) Thank you!!!

26 comments:

  1. I've seen quite a few positive reviews for The Beginning of Everything as well. Hope you like it! I've added it to my to-read shelf =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious to see what you think of Taste Test (which I've never heard of before but sounds interesting) and Game On (which I have heard of before and even though I'm a big tennis fan I'm kind of skeptical about reading it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Girl of Fire and Thorns but didn't love it. I heard the same thing about the second book (that it was a lot better), so I recently got a copy from the library. Hopefully I'll enjoy it enough to read Bitter Kingdom! Have fun reading! I requested Earthbound from the library, but it hasn't come in yet. Disappointed to hear you didn't like the beginning of it. Have fun reading! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got so many awesome books this week! Overpowered looks like it could be really cool. The cover pulls me in!
    My STS

    ReplyDelete
  5. taste test looks like a super fun romantic YA contemp read. i'm a sucker for those--they always make me so happy when i'm reading them. awesome books this week! i'm very curious about the beginning of everything.

    hope you can stop by my StS.

    -michelle @ Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! I see so many awesome books on this STS that I've been wanting to read, like The beginning of Everything! I've seen some negative reviews for Taste Test, but I still want to read it and hope you love it and all your other books. :)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got frustrated with both of The Girl of Fire and Thorns books at one point or another, but I also think they were worth the read. The second is better and I did really enjoy it. I'm really looking forward to the third! Great haul and thanks for stopping by my STS!

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just used To Be Perfectly Honest for my WoW post the other day. I quite like Sonya Sones, so I think that one will probably be good. I hecka want to read The Beginning of Everything and Taste Test too. Enjoy your books! (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Beginning of Everything has been receiving so much praise! I hope you enjoy it as much as everyone else.
    I read Taste Test some time back, but didn't enjoy it much. I grabbed it because I love MasterChef as well, but it ended up being very disappointing.
    I hope you enjoy your lovely books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have that same bad habit of requesting sequels, thinking I'll read them together. LOL sometimes it happens! To Be Perfectly Honest looks really good, and sometimes I really enjoy books told in verse. Great books this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got Carson's books some time ago but haven't started them yet. They look awesome though.
    Happy reading!

    My haul

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read Game On by Monica Seles, just recently in fact. I'll wait to see what you think.

    Here's my round up of the week.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh The Bitter Kingdom! I have that too! I am in love with that series! :D I also have Taste Test and To Be Perfectly Honest for review. I can't wait to hear what you think about Earth Bound and The Beginning of Everything!
    Happy reading Natalie!

    My STS

    Jessica@Lovin' Los Libros

    ReplyDelete
  14. great picks,new GFC follower

    hope you can visit my Stacking the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Beginning of Everything needs to get on my bookshelf NOW. I've been wanting to read it for so long - it just looks so amazing! I can't wait to hear what your thoughts are on it

    Allie @ Little Birdie Books

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great assortment of new books! Hope you enjoy them all. Here's my Sunday post:

    http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/08/sundays-weekly-book-recap-31.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really want to read The Year Of Shadows. I'm a huge MG fan and have heard great things about it. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I heard a lot of great things about The Beginning of Everything! I hope you end up liking it too as well as the rest of your new reads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You got The Beginning of Everything! I'm so jealous; I can't wait until that book is released. -squeals-
    Enjoy all your lovely books & thanks for stopping by my STS! (:

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really want to read The Beginning of Everything! Great haul this week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVED The Beginning of Everything, even more than I expected to. Clever and witty and just REAL. :) Also, YES, give The Girl of Fire and Thorns the benefit of the doubt so you can move on to Crown of Embers, which is way more awesome. Promise. I just finished the last book in the series, and overall, it's one of my favorite fantasy series. So, just get past the first book and everything will be roses. :P Enjoy all your new reads!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice haul! Bubble world, Earth Bound and The Bitter Kingodm are on my TBR! Happy Reading!
    Here are my newest additions.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You got some great books last week! I have a horrible habit of requesting books that are not the first book in a series. Sometimes I don't even bother reading the previous books and hope I can just jump in and know what is going on. That rarely ever works but hey, a girl can dream! I did hear that THE BITTER KINGDOM is amazing. So hopefully the series will get better for you! I really want to read TASTE TEST and BUBBLE WORLD. I love watching cooking shows so the appeal is definitely there! I'm not really sure what BUBBLE WORLD is about either but it sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Eeeep, I'm dying to read both The Year of Shadows AND Earthbound :D I'll admit, I'm a little jelly that you got those but mostly excited for you hehe Oh and that Rae Carson series has been sitting on top of my TBR shelf for way too long, hope I can get to it soon, I've heard tons of good things! Sweet haul ^^

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, Natalie!

    First of all, I'd like to apologize for taking so long to comment back...a personal crisis suddenly came up, and I had to take care of it, which put me behind on blogging.

    You have a nice collection here!! The only books I recognize here are THE BITTER KINGDOM and EARTHBOUND. I want to get them in the print editions, though. I utterly detest ebooks!!

    The other books are completely new to me, but I will definitely investigate them further on Amazon. They all look GREAT!!

    Thank you so much for commenting on my own STS post, on 8/17/13. I REALLY appreciate it!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  26. P.S. I LOVE your new blog design!! So glad you kept the phone booths, although this is a different pic of them!! : )

    ReplyDelete

Hello, there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one and will do my best to respond--usually on your blog instead of on mine. I will, however, always answer direct questions. Due to serious time restraints, this blog is now an award free zone, but I appreciate the thought!